I know this sounds crazy but..

I am 12 weeks pregnant. I have already had a miscarriage before and have had some problems during this pregnancy and my doctor said it was fine as long as my cervix are closed. Earlier I felt something wet and I went to the bathroom and saw a small blood stain in my underwear but I checked and I wasn't bleeding so I thought maybe it was an old stain i just didn't notice. Well just now I was curios and checked my cervix I think they are open. Should I call my doctor or am I just crazy. Would he just laugh when I said I checked and my cervix are open.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Chances are your may have some outter dilation but not inner dilation. This is VERY common in women who have been pregnant before and is nothing to be concerned about.

My midwife taught me how to check for dilation because of some issues I've had in the past with going into labor early and the hospital not taking me seriously. It's actually a very empowering thing to do but be careful. There are a bunch of women on here that are afraid of their own bodies and will FREAK THE HELL out on you for doing this.

It's not a big deal as long as your hands are clean, nails are clipped and as long as you aren't doing it all the time. The gloves in the hospital are not sterile so you're probably safer checking yourself than a doctor or nurse in the hospital.

With you past I would probably recommend that you be checked just incase you have an incompetant cervix or something. Just tell them your spotting if want.
    Anonymous

• If you are concerned I would call. That is what the docs and nurses are there for...
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I don't want to scare you but that is how my second miscarriage started. Give your doc a call and try to take it easy. I hope it turns out to be nothing! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Call and say you are bleeding and want an exam. If its opening at all they can put a stitch in it to keep it closed. You may also need to be on bed rest.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 6:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If you're concerned then you should call. It could very well be something to be concerned about. You're never going to know unless you call though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• op - to anon :39 how can i tell if it is just outer dilation and not inner.
    Anonymous

• Op here- I called and the on call nurse was a bit of a bitch she said that if i my cervix are opening this early im miscarrying and there is nothing they can do about. But i can go up to e.r. if a want but there is no point.

Should I go?
    Anonymous