opinion please

If you felt your son or daughter wasn't grasping what he or she was learning at school,such as reading comprehension,reading slowly,and math,would you go get him or her tested to see whats going on? Its not cheap may cost me quite a bit,but I'm desperate to have my son do well in school while he is still young 9yrs old and going into 4th grade. My husband thinks its laziness I dont think it is,because when I sit him down to do his work he gets frustrated and cries. So I know its gotta be something going on.I know I struggled BIG time in school with math and reading comprehension,and I think my son unfortunalty got my brain chemistry. I still have yet to get a ged or high school diploma,but am gonna work on it this fall.
Oh and my husband thinks I'm being stupid getting him tested and says I never listen,I said bs an dthat I was surprised that he wasnt willing to get his own son help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ask the school for additional testing before you go out of pocket. Surely this issue has come up at conferences?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If you think something is not right, having him tested would be a start. He may have a learning disability or something along those lines. His ped would be able to point you in the right direction is it is something medical like ADD, the school should be able to test him for learning issues.. Go with your gut. It may be he is just still immature. Kids do learn different and at their own pace sometimes.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I did and they said he was fine,bs, they just dont have the time or money for the extra help.
    Anonymous

• What does his teacher say?
    Anonymous

• Hmm, if you think he has a problem then I would do something. Who else is going to go to bat for you child if you don't. I found with my kids if you get help early it solves any long term issues that may arise.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• His teacher says he has to think a lot about the subject mostly math and reading and with a lot of help he finally gets it. I think he has problems processing what he learns and he doesnt retain it. She agrees with me too.
    Anonymous

• Yeah get him tested then, sounds like he is suffering enough right now, why keep it going like this when there might be help out there for him.
    Anonymous

• Is he getting frustrated and crying due to the fact that he doesn't want to do it and you're making him? Some kids who don't want to do their work act as if they can't. It's quite common actually. Make sure that he isn't just playing you. He could know what his dad thinks and is trying to play to your "Poor Baby" card. Don't rule it out that he's manipulating you.

However, if you truely feel that he without a doubt has a problem then talk to the school about getting him tested. They can give you a referal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Yes definetly.I would even get His eyes checked and hearing if You already havnt.
    From2to3

Answer by From2to3 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You can request IN WRITING that the school test him for any and all learning disabilities, processing disorders, etc.
    Though if you think they won't follow through enough, do go private.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2010