Is wearing a baby in a ring sling dangerous?? suffication hazard??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is. I tried one of those and my baby's neck got all scrunched up, her chin on her chest and it just didn't look like she could breath well so I got rid of it.
    Anonymous

• not if done properly. unfortunately, it only takes one careless person who does not do their research, to cause a tragedy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• How the hell is it careless to be concerned that your baby isn't breathing?
    Anonymous

• If you had researched HOW TO SAFELY USE ONE, they baby would be positioned in such a way that their breathing is not compromised. It would be careless to continue using one improperly, which you did not. However, it did not need to be gotten rid of- simply learned how to properly use. Like anything else, some instruction is necessary.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• A lot of the cradle slings that you see on store shelves I find to be dangerous. They bent my child's neck forward in an awkward position. Which lead me to believe that it could just as easily cut off his breathing. I wouldn't feel safe using them again. I only used the one I was given once.

I use a new sew sling, which is basically 4 yards of fabric you wrap yourself. You can wrap it to your comfort level and to the style that you prefer. It's safer, cheaper, and can be made to fit your size. No more awkward store bought slings that are too small, too big, or too uncomfortable!!

Go to youtube.com and look up "New Sew Slings" .. Note a lot of the videos aren't in English, but there are a few that are.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Slings are a fantastic way to care for your baby, there are many websites on babywearing as it is called, I personally never felt comfortable and tried several styles but I LOVED the Ergo, you still get skin to skin contact and can nurse with it on and it lasts forever.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 7:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• The pouch types are actually FAR more dangerous. Ring slings are safer, but as with ALL baby equipment you must use it right. EVERYTHING can be deadly if not used correctly.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I have always used a ring sling form birth with all 3 of my kids. When you use it correctly it is perfectly safe. You mainly have to make sure baby does not have her chin to her chest making it difficult for her to breathe.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• keep baby's face clear of the fabric and make sure their chin is not bent toward the chest, basically just make sure there isn't anything to obstruct baby's breathing and you're good to go!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Ring sling is safe to use as long as it's used properly. I was able to use it safely with my daughter just after she was born, she fit perfectly in the one I had, but I tried to use it with my son who was just born and it was not comfortable for me and I didn't feel he was safe in it. He is only 8 weeks but we've been using a SleepyWrap since he was a couple weeks old. Totally worth the $40, it's a stretchy wrap and is soooo comfortable for him and me (especially my back, since it distributes the weight evenly). I wear it to the grocery store (was just there today) and the park (helps me be able to play with my 3 year old and still have baby right there instead of in a stroller). And it's very breathable and not hot (I live in SWFL and we've been in the 90's since DS was born). Check them out online, I love this stretchy wrap better than the Moby I had with DD!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 9:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2010