How do you feel about welfare?

I work full time and make pretty good money, but sometimes come up short after paying bills and student loans monthly. I went to apply for foodstamps and was denied because I make too much money ( so they say). Do you feel that it is unfair to tell someone that they make too much money without calculating what is left to live off of after bills are paid. I'm frustrated that someone can work 20 hours or less a week by choice and get housing, foodstamps, daycare vouchers, help paying utilities and continue to spit out children. But I work hard and pay taxes and need a little more assistance and can't get it.

Asked by Queentdi at 5:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Money & Work

• Ok I will put in my two cents here. First off I commend you for working hard to pay your way through life. Kudos to you. As for those people who choose to "live off the system" (I know of some in my life who do) they should have to apply for jobs,etc & be only allowed to have aide for a certain period of time if all the steps are not taken. Especially women who just pop out another kid just so they can claim they can't work!!!! It disgusts me!!!! If you NEED it, then USE it but don't ABUSE it. When you are back on your feet then GIVE to it. Everyone needs a hand up NOT A HAND OUT!!!!

So back to the original point, I would definetly look at local churches, food banks, family & friends at this point. Some times you just have to deal with what you have and pray to God for help. Best of luck to you! I hope this helps.

Answer by momofspuds at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I do think they need to take into account SOME things...but for households that have a lot of luxuries, that's different (like 2 cars and a motorcycle). I also think with the way the economy is right now, they really need to re-figure the numbers. Too many people are going to fall under.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• they are messed up in there calculations,i currently recieve foodstamps,but because my man is now making 8 dollars an hr, even though im not workin cause i just gave birth 3 wks ago, we only get 285 for me him and our 2 dughters, but my daughter wasborn on the 3rd so they wouldnt put here on there until next month even thought i still gotta get her formula, and we only got 165 this month. i know once i go back to work we will make to much even though like u said after bills theres nothing left, plus with rising food prices the amount they give you still hasnt gone up.if u get to the point were u cant feed your kids there are always food banks,churches that give out food.

Answer by Queenlette at 5:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Welfare needs to have criteria, to many people abuse the system and I'm sick of it. If I pay ALL my bills, all my expenses why shouldn't I get a break? If you don't meet the requirements you don't get welfare benefits. I also think it needs to be looked at and monitored closely. Do you get child support? I would go there because you do deserve that. Don't put yourself down to a level of stealing from the govt. so life will be easier. Life is life and no one said it was meant to be easy, or easy all the time.

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Check with local food pantry's and church's. The system may say you make to much $$ but there are ALLOT of food banks out there willing to help you no matter how much money you make or dont make. Let me know if you need he links to them.

Answer by vbruno at 5:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Excuse me Teachermom, but it's not stealing from the gov't when you work full time and bust your butt to make ends meet. I do not go after child support because my bf works as well and he's in my life. It's stealing when you do not work by choice in order to get benefits. I do not want all the benefits just some help getting food. If I could then I would eat the paper that my bills are printed on, but that's not going to help any. The people who abuse the system have no complaints. I don't abuse anything because I don't get anything. Did you not read where I said that I work FULL TIME and PAY TAXES as well as STUDENT LOANS??? How am I even going to allow you to put me into a category with the leeches who have welfare benefits? If I wanted life to be easy then I would have had an abortion, stop paying my student loans, cut my own work hours, lived off of someone else and let someone else take care of me. How dare you say I'm stooping to a level of stealing.

Answer by Queentdi at 5:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I feel like this, if you truly need it, get it. Especially if you work, cause your taxes goes to the welfare program. Welfare needs to be a little stricter, those who truly need it can't get it and those who need to be working, get to much of it. Go figure?

Answer by notlott37 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I am in the same boat as you :( It is very frustrating.

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• it is frustrating, i agree.

Answer by phazed.0ut at 6:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I don't know where your from but in Oklahoma they do count your bills and weigh them against what you make. I don't have a problem with welfare as long as ppl don't take advantage of it. I think everybody goes through struggles and needs help on their feet from time to time but i don't agree with those that aren't trying. I hope that you can find a way to get some assistance because your obviously trying and need some help. Look into outreach programs in your community. Good Luck!

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 3:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2008