How should I have answered this question

We have told my 1st grade daughter several times that smoking is bad. One day she was talking with a friend of hers in the same grade while we were going somewhere. She said "my mommy says smoking is bad" (they were discussing good and bad things) Her friend got a sad look on her face and said "if smoking is bad, and my daddy smokes, does that mean he is bad?" I told her that no he isn't bad I just dont' think it is a smart choice. How should I respond if this comes up again or if her parents call and want to know why I said that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Health

• Well you should tell them that your views are it is bad(it is) and that you tell your child that so that she knows. You made it clear to the little girl her daddy is not bad, so you did the right thing!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Tell them the truth. Exactly what you just told us.
    Anonymous

• Well, you are in the right here. I would just say that you are trying to teach your dd to make the best choices possible.

Tell your dd that good people can make bad choices and also that everyone makes mistakes.
    Anonymous

• I would tell her parents, "Uh, Duuuuh. Smoking IS bad." :-)
    LOL
    I would just tell your daughter that everyone makes their own decisions, but explain to her the effects smoking can have (cancer, stinky, blah blah, all the stuff we all know about it) and tell her that she should make the right choice and not smoke.
    Anonymous

• The person is not bad. What he is doing is bad. (The smoking.)

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Explain to her why it is bad, how it harms your health and the health of those around them, and explain that it doesn't necessarily means the person is bad.

Answer by older at 7:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• In your family, smoking is bad. It is in ours too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Even smokers realize that it's bad. If the parents have a problem with you telling your child the truth about smoking, then that's THEIR problem, not yours. Are you supposed to teach her that smoking is good to please other people? I don't think so. Explain to her that it doesn't make them a person, but that it can make you sick.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2010