I need opinions...my husband and I are disagreeing on the crib bumper...

My son is 8 months old and has been getting his legs and feet slightly stuck in the crib bars in the morning when he wakes up. We have a crib bumper, but my hospital warned me against them, and I've read where babies have suffocated or choked due to the bumper. My husband wants to put it on the crib because he thinks it's safe, but I'm worried that it can be dangerous. What do you think? Did you put one on your baby's crib? Was there are trouble?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh I had the same issue!! I took the bumper off b/c I kept hearing about suffocation. But my LO got his leg stuck between the rails and DH had to pull with all his might to get the rails apart enough for me to free his leg. After that, I put the bumper back on & tied it really tight and never had a problem.
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Was there any trouble?*
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Get a breathing kind, or just tie it really well at 8 months he can turn his head if he is breathing into it.
    Also, keep an eye out for when he starts standing so that he doesnt stand on it and climb out.
    Anonymous

• agree w/ anon. We did take ours away eventually though. We also never hung blinds....totally fearful
    Anonymous

• i had the same porblem with my dd she would always stick her feet out threw the bars on the crib, we tried the crib bumpers but they dident help either, she just kicked it down till she got her feet out threw it again!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• By 8 mos the worries should be over; but I'll tell you both mind (4yr & 2yr) had bumper pads in their cribs with never a problem. If it really bothers both of you - go to One Step Ahead.com and look for their breathable one...oh let's see

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=352762

Breathable Bumper
    Anonymous

• I used them and didn't have a problem. Like the previous poster said, just tie them tight.
    Anonymous

• We used one until our kids were old enough to pull up and climb on them. The one we had was able to be tied on super tight so not even a finger could get between the it and the crib bars.

Anonymous

• I agree w/ anon. :36

We used reg. ones for both of ours, and never had a problem.
    And as previously posted, at this age that kind of danger is pretty much over.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Never had a problem. At 8 months your child should be able to turn his head if he needed to. I think he is at more of a risk without the bumper b/c he could get one of his legs stuck and break his leg or cut of circulation .. bumper should be fine by this age.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 8:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2010