soap cravings

lately i have been craving the smell of clean mop water, and window cleaner... and sometimes just pain dish soap, or laundry detergent... it just makes me want to drink or eat it. i also just sometimes have to walk down the isle in the store where the cleaning products are just to smell them because they just smell so good to me... and also sometimes the smell of gasoline from cars... I work in a drive thru at work and sometimes the smell of the gasoline from cars makes me really really thirsty like... wondering if this is a normal experience??? I am 34 weeks pregnant and i have been having these cravings for the past 4 weeks or so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That's called "pica". It's the craving for non-food items. I wouldn't call it common, but it's not completely abnormal either. Just don't act on it and it'll go away after you give birth.
    Anonymous

• I have a great idea. Come clean my house! Really though, stay away from chemical smells, not good for baby. Neither is the gas fumes. Gas Fumes? Really?
    Anonymous

• I would wanting to smell it is normal but I don't know about wanting to eat or drink these things. I know when my cousin was pregnant she was hooked on the smell of nail polish remover and other smells in a nail salon.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Its something that happens. Like the 1st poster said, its called Pica. You should let your Dr know. Its not known why it happens, but some Dr's think it might be related to an iron deficiency. If so, increase your iron by eating lots of spinach, lean meat, bean like black beans etc. At least it can't hurt to eat a but more spinach and black beans!!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2010