What would happen if a person who wasn't depressed took anti-depressants.

I'm not asking this for any personal reason, I was just pondering this. Do you think it would just make them extra happy, or would it have an opposite effect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. I am on Effexor XR but not for depression but for anxiety. I don't understand how a medicine is for depression and anxiety. I do know this, I feel a lot better when I am on Effexor, things that would usually cause me to go ballistic I just brush off like they are nothing. I am also on Xanax but rarely take them. It's really weird because I have been on all kinds of sleep meds and none of them touch me, I take half a Xanax and I am knocked out for almost a day.
    When I had my postpartum depression I was put on Prozac. I never felt any different but people could tell when I had skipped a few dosages.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• On a personal level - quite the opposite.
    Anonymous

• It would have the oppisite effect.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• would be a pill popper, why take un-needed medication. that is stupid!
    Anonymous

• Wow I think if we all could get extra happy by taking anti depressants they would be out-lawed! I think they will get the same side effects that anyone gets from taking those meds. Might have less of an interest in sex, dryer skin, weight gain.
    Anonymous

• They make you numb. They don't make you extra happy, you get all the suck ass side effects like another anon mentioned, plus they make you numb. Not psychically numb, but mentally and emotionally. My doctor put me on them several years ago thinking that I was depressed. I was not it was another issue entirely...but yeah. Numbness until about 2 months after I went off of them...and found a new doctor. I was on them for about 6 months btw.

Anonymous

• i once as a teen had circumstantial depression. i had alot of bad thing going on in my life that cased my heart to ache and me to be very sad for a while. i was put on anti depressants. i took them for a couple of days then i told my dr i didnt like the way they made me feel then they upped my dose....wtf? anyways i stopped taking them because i didnt need med i just needed to get through some hard times in my life.
    Anonymous

• you should never take precription medicon unless precribed to u
    no1yummymummy

Answer by no1yummymummy at 8:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• you should never take precription medicon unless precribed to u"

OP here. I wouldn't ever do that. This has nothing to do with me, I was just curious.
    Anonymous

• I did this when I was younger.... It was CRAZY & put me on an emotional roller-coaster..
    Id be really happy & on top of the world one minute & then the smallest thing would make me feel really down... I got the meds from a friend that would be 1/2 nuts if she didnt take it... I only took it once .
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2010