Three year old and Melatonin

Having sleep troubles with my three year old. Dr. told us to give her 1mg of melatonin. Anyone have thoughts on this? I gave it to her and it is the first time in five nights that she fell asleep with out screaming for hours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if it works, it should only take 7 days to regulate her sleep.

here are some other tips...
    establish a routine for bedtime (starting 2 hours before)
    Limit sugar and caffeine 2 hours before bed
    Make sure bath is no less then an hour before bed (it throws off body temperature and makes it harder to relax)
    turn the lights and tv off at least an hour before it is bedtime. (artificial light stimulates and throws off the bodies natural rhythm )
    Quite time (about 30min before you want her asleep) (great time for snuggles and story)

I have insomnia and that is what my Doc suggested.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 8:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would only use it for a short time to regulate her sleep patterns. My oldest has autism and we used it on and off with him for 6 months-1 year because it was the only thing that worked for getting him to sleep around the ages of 3-4

Answer by missanc at 10:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• i like the first post!!!! i am having trouble with my son sleeping i should try your tips! i would never give my son melatonin
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We did everything in the first post. I am only going to use for a couple days to regulate her sleep. She slept all night and that is the first time in a long time and she just came down stairs smiling. I wonder if cutting out her naps will really help also. The Dr. told me also to cut them but instinct says that is not a good idea.
    JeanPatrick

Answer by JeanPatrick at 6:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2010