Does Your Child Slide?

Added On May 30, 2010
An Iowa mom says her daughter got 2nd-degree burns from a plastic playground slide that reached nearly 170 degrees.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2010/05/30/dnt.child.burned.by.slide.kcci.html

OMG this POOR BABY! Spread the word - warn your friends.

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• This is why you feel it first. We had metal ones growing up and we knew enough to not go down if it had been baking in the sun all day.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I ran this story in my newscast on Saturday morning...it was awful. I used to think plastic slides were better than metal, but they're not.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• that is why you always check the temp of ANYTHING with your hands and forearm before you let your kids sit or play on it
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 8:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• That poor baby ..
    That's why you are always supposed to feel the slide before allowing your child to get on it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 8:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Why was an 18 mo old baby playing on the slide all by herself anyway? No one watches their kids anymore! Such a good babysitter letting a baby climb up and slide down a slide alone.
    Anonymous

• You know I do feel the equipment; but I have a worn adult hand that is used to hot water; cooking; cleaning; etc...I'm not as sensitive as my kids skin might be!

And even if I felt it might be hot; I would have never imagined 163 freaking degrees!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I had a flash back of being in elementary school and putting my jacket down underneath me on the metal slide. We also took big fist fulls of sand and put it down the slide before we got on. Sometimes I wonder how we ever survived back then. Poor baby, that is terrible and a good reminder from our cm friend.
    Anonymous

• Poor kid! They can get very hot... we have a plastic slide in our backyard and on the hot days I run the hose over it to cool it off before I let the kids go down! Those black rubber swings can get really hot in the sun too... we went to the park today and I had to put a jacket underneath my child because it was really hot on the backs of her legs!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Awww :( Poor baby!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2010