8 month old not sleeping through the night. I NEED HELP ASAP

As i speak my child is screaming blood muder... ive been trying for weeks to get my son to go to sleep with out being held and rocked. its just not working....... i put him in his crib let him cry for a few mins go back in calm him down and put him back down.... and again and again and again. He still wakes up atleast 2 times during the night wanting to eat..... (I dont not breast feed) i dont give in until around 3am and i only give in because by this point hes been crying for 2 hours straight and i am even unable to rock him to sleep. He 8 months old what do i do?!?!?!?!?!?!?! please help im only getting 3 hours a sleep for the last 8 months and i have to wake up at 5am every morning and i work a 40 hour work week.........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not pick him up!! Go in every 10 mins, then every 20 mins. and only pat him on the back, do not pick him up!!! It worked with mine after 3 nights of cio and she is very very stubborn. Be consistent and do not pick him up.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 8:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• also want to say that happened to me. Working 40 hrs. a week waking up every 3 hrs. was not cutting it. Once the doc. said she could go a full night without eating, that was it.
    danielp

• its sad and hard we let our child work it out on his own he cried nearly all night the first night and after that he never cried againg just love baby and feed and make sure baby is warm put baby to sleep and wait he will sleep no worries you can do it be strong okay!
    Anonymous

• you can try co-sleeping. what is the big rush to get him to sleep alone? having him sleep with you gives you both sleep. CIO causes brain damage by blocking blood flow to the brain.
    Anonymous

• He is still a baby. Rock him to sleep, co-sleep, feed him at night. Why have him if you are only going to let him cry and not feed or rock him? I agree with ANON 8:51, what is the big rush? He will be out of that stage and grown before you know it. Cherish this time and make the most of it.
    Anonymous

• He's probably growing and NEEDS to be fed. Feed the kid, for crying out loud! There is nothing wrong with an infant not sleeping all night. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
    Anonymous

• If you didn't start the CIO method until recently it will take a while for your child to adjust to it. Also realize that there is no set time frame for bbies to sleep through the night. All babies do things differently. At 8 months old my suggestion is try giving him some rice cereal or baby food before bed along with is bottle to help him stay full through the night. Also giving a bath with lavendar bedtime bath may help calm him down. Good luck and I agree don't pick him up but go in a reassure him that you are there and didn't "forget" him.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• It sounds to me like you are expecting too much. Many 8 month olds do not sleep through the night. This is normal! Your baby needs you. Often when moms work full time baby is even more needy at night because he didn't get enough of mommy during the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I am the poster:
    i try and give him alot of "mommy time" my husband watches him during the day and works at night. so when i get home at 4pm its just him and i until 11. playtime from 4pm-7pm with mommy(i do nothing but play with him and read to him) i give him a bottle at 7pm... then i usually try and read to him. then a bath at 8pm..... then oatmeal at 8:30 and try to put him to bed....... and no i cant do the CIO method..... it makes me cry thinking about whats going through his mind (where is mommy? why isnt she coming? why wont she hold me?) Any suggestions about how to get him back to sleep when i feed him at night because he wants to play at 3am!!

Anonymous

• im not an expert but the only thing that worked for my son was tough love....for a week straight i had him crying himself to sleep....trust me they have to sleep some time...lol he was 8 mon ths at the time... it was very very hard to do i hate to hear him cry excspecially when im sleep deprived but eventually it will get easy now he cries on occasion to test his limits and it doesnt even bother me as bad as that sounds. the trick was not to go back in until u just cant take it anymore...dont pick them up not bottles..as long as he drinks before bed he is freshly changed and the temp is ok...there is nothing wrong and cuddling wont do them any good. i hope that helps...
    Anonymous