Sigh....what to do????

I've been friends with this young gal for about 2 years now, and we get along really well. But recently all she wants to do is talk about people and people that i don't know nor care about... Its everytime i talk to her, its to the point that I dodge her as much as I can, I don't answer the phone when she calls, if I see her car I drive the other way, when I get online I use the feature of "hide" so she doesn't talk to me.... The drama is so silly and I feel like its because she is so bored with her life right now being a stay at home mother of 2. I dont' know how to approach her and tell her how I feel because a. I don't want to be mean and hurt her feelings and b. I don't want to give her a reason to talk about me cuz i kind of have a feeling that that is what will happen. So help me please help me and give me some advice what to do, she just doesn't get the picture!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Why dont you just try "Let's talk about something else?" or "I'm trying not to gossip" or something like that. Maybe she doesn't realize what she's doing. You don't have to be "best friends" but there is no reason to spend all your time avoiding her. You have no control over whether or not she talks bad about and chances are that she already has based on what you've told us.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Have you tried just changing the subject? Maybe you could just politely tell her, "you know, I'm not really comfortable with gossip, do you mind if we talk about such and such instead?" If you don't feel comfortable doing that, I would just keep trying to steer the conversation toward other things that might also interest her.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 8:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Change the subject, every time.

She needs to see the Eleanor Roosevelt quote: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Why not just be honest?
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon :38, just be honest with her. Tell her you enjoyed talking to her when you weren't talking about other people! Let her know that gossip is a real turn off to you. I wouldn't avoid her, just change the subject and  if she persists with the gossip then cut the conversation short. She'll get the message, maybe! lol

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2010