What would happen in a woman just refused to sign divorce papers?

If the husband files for divorce and the wife refuses to sign papers or talk to the attourney or anything, what would happen? Would the state eventually just declare them divorced or something after a period of time?
What would you do if your husband filed for divorce and you wanted to work it out. You dont believe in divorce or whatever. Would you ever refuse to get a divorce?

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 9:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it's called an uncontested divorce and it will cost a lot of money to get a divorce.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 9:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If you make it know you want counselling,the preceedings will be delayed. If you do nothing,and don't sign or dispute it,its like saying you're ok with the divorce.
    Anonymous

• the divorce will still happen, in some cases they recommend counseling, but it is mostly not mandatory and divorces take up to a year to be final i believe
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I think they will still grant the divorce.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Also if you dont contest it, he can possibly end up getting everything he asks for in court. I have seen this happen to a lot of men who dont want the divorce and just walk away from the house, the cars and up paying alimony for the rest of their lives
    Anonymous

• Why stay with a man who no longer wants to be with you? Let him go!
    Anonymous

• He'd win by default. She doesn't have to sign the papers for him to get the divorce. He just needs to show he tried to contact her. He can just put it in the newspaper if he doesn't even know where she is. He wins everything he asked for in the divorce, even the children so it's best to contest it in court.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

I'm not even married, I'm was just wondering.
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 9:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Why not sign it? I know if my DH didn't want to be with me I would let him go and get on with my life.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the state. Here in PA, you can refuse to sign the papers for up to 2 years before he can push things through without you. However, beyond that 2 year period he can force the divorce through even without her signature. But each state is different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2010