When did the Paci Fairy make a visit to your home?

My daughter is 23 months old, and she uses her paci for her nap and at bedtime. It's not a problem for me at all (her teeth are fine, her speech is fine, and she puts the paci in the sink as soon as she wakes up), but I'm just wondering when the "Paci Fairy" made a visit to your home? How old were your toddlers?

This question is geared towards moms whose children used pacifiers past two years old. No judging or bashing please. Let's be adults.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was 24 months when I took it away...now that I am older and have read up on it all, I will not take anything like that away. MOST, not every, but most kids will give it up on their own. So, I will no longer rush the process. As long as they will go without it during the day and pull it out to talk...I see no issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• paci fairy? LOL na, the paci fair never came at my house. i was going to have my son off of it by the latest was 15 months, but then dh was born when he was 16 months, then dh deployed, then went out of town...so it wasn't until he was 24 months we were finally settled down to get him off of it. he got used to daddy being deployed, was well used to new sister, and he was only taking it at nap and bedtime. i cut the tip off of it, he took it for a couple nights like that, then one night he went to bed late and was super tired, so he went straight to bed without it. the next night i didn't even mention the paci, if he remembered i'd give it to him but he didn't, so i put him to bed without it. he remembered it the next night and i couldn't find it so he went to bed fine without it. ever since then he hasn't needed it. luckily, my dd chucked hers at 2 months lol. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• LOL oops went to do dishes and just noticed my mistake,. sorry, i meant dd was born when ds was 16 months
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• before my son was 2
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My oldest was attached to the paci we finally got rid of his around the time he was 3 (it was only allowed at bed time or if he was really sick) and my 2nd child lost his at 2. I took both of their pacis at the same time. Good Luck
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Never. We are weaning gradually. My youngest never took one, but my oldest is 4 and still takes one at bed time. He has an anxiety issue and it is a great comfort to him. We have weaned him off of it for the rest of the day and at nap time, but he still gets it at bed... We will wean him further in another month or so, but we are taking things very slowly...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I weaned my son from it at 10 months.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• About three months before she turned 3. And her teeth are fine as well, and her speech is better than most kids twice her age.
    She wanted to go to school when she turned 3 more than anything, so we simply told her that the binkies had to be gone before her birthday. So, about 3 months before, she woke up from nap and said she was done with the binkies, and threw them away on her own. That night, I expected some problems, and she DID ask where they were, but when I reminded her she threw them away, she just said "oh, yeah, I forgot" and went to bed.
    I expected it to be hard since she had to have one in her mouth and one in each hand in order to sleep, so that if it fell out of her mouth, she could just replace it w/one of them in her hand. But, nope, no problems at all.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• We had Binkies at our house. Some of the pacifiers are named "Binky". But I really didn't keep track of how long my kids liked a pacifier. It was in the 1960's. Thatwas when we didn't worry as much.
    One only wanted to suck on her fingers and the others ....I don't remember and I never thought it was a huge issue. Don't worry about it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Well at about 1 yr they where only for bedtime/naptime. I tried to take it away at 2 and he started thumbsucking which is quite possibly the single most disgusting habit to me. Turns my stomach. *gag* So he's 3 and still sleeps with a paci. He has picked out his truck that he wants the paci fairy to bring him and she will be coming soon.... as soon as she can get to a larger city where there's a toys r us. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2010