Are you a vegetarian? If so, why?

Is it due to ethical reasons? A dislike for meat? Nutritional reasons? Do you force or encourage your children to be vegetarians as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband and I are both strict vegetarians, and any time we do consume animal products, (like eggs or dairy), it is free-range and certified organic. We do this for ethical reasons. We also do not buy leather or own pets do or anything else that involves the killing or cruelty or exploitation of animals.
    Because we both are vegetarians, we do not feed our children meat. That would be silly... but if they choose to eat meat when they are older, I will accept that. :)
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• i am a vegetarian.. my husband is not. i dont eat meat because i just do not like the taste or the smell as it is cooking. i would never not offer my daughter meat.. who by the way loves it.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 11:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• For health reasons, I do not consume meat, although I can (and occasionally do) eat fish. My children have always been veggie eaters, and, frankly, after learning what was in some of the things that their friends eat, have very little interest in meat. Once in a blue moon I will cook poultry, but red meat, and pork are off the menu.
    I would never feed pork to someone I love, for numerous reasons, but mainly that each and every protein cell is encased in fat cells- even in meat where there is not visible marbling. On top of that, children under the age of seven lack the enzymatic capability to digest it. It is of no nutritional value to them.
    Vegetarians who plan their meals well, actually get more protein that meat eaters- everything we eat from whole grain, to legumes, nuts, and even a lot of veggies contains protein. It adds up quickly.
    We don't live off of salad, you know.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2010