How much, and how often, solid food should a 7 month old eat?

Just curious if I'm feeding him a nutritious diet!

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 11:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually, carmadsmom, I am a nurse and I had ONE nutrition class in 4 years of education. I remember precious little of it now, 15 years later. I am not here to argue one side or the other, but it is true that pedis have precious little current info on infant nutrition, and sadly, many don't care to be current. I got the same advice from my pedi that my almost 8yo went to as I got from my current pedi with my 2yo. They were different docs in different places. The truth is that you do need to primarily feed formula or breast feed for the first year, and add solids as desired. Most 'baby' foods are not wholly nutritious or caloric in and of themselves, but added into a diet of mainly BM or formula, make a great complement and gets baby used to different textures and tastes. I have 4 kids, too, and I have changed how I intro'd solids based on new information as I had kids. All are healthy and well.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Food before one is just for fun. So nutrition comes all from breastmilk (or formula). Food right now should be experimentational tastes of table foods (fruits and veggies) at normal family mealtimes. Don't worry about amounts except to breastfeed or bottle feed first.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• none. but if you must, just a few ounces at dinner time. (depending on your schedule of course. mine was bottles at 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm. so the 4pm was considered they're "dinner", so that's when i gave my kids their solid food. dd didn't start until 8 months though, and that wasn't even every night.)
    Anonymous

• at 7 months my son was eating rice cereal and a stage 2 fruit for breakfast, and for dinner and a stage 1 veggie for lunch. around 8-9 months we added a lunch/veggie/grain stage 2 meal for lunch. and some water while he was eating.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• My son will be 7 mos on the 12th and we feed him once in the morning once in the evening, I still .BF so the doctor recommended this for him. We are moving to 3 solid foods a day when he is 7 mos.

We feed him as much as he needs, we make the food so I can't say, this many jars you know but until he is full. He rejects the food when he doesnt want any more
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• 3 ,eals a day plus 2 snacks id say. Thats what my son ate at that age.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Breast or bottle FIRST. As much as you care to give in solids AFTER breast or bottle. If he's getting breast or bottle firs,t he's getting a nutritious diet. If he's NOT, you are risking shortchanging him no matter HOW many solids you give.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• First of all, food before a year is not just for practice as some of you stated. I get so sick of seeing this. My children were and are not over weight and ate mostly baby food and formula before a year old. I always listened to my child's specific needs. It is important to let them eat baby food like fruits and veggies as well as cereal. You eat liquid alone and see how satisfied you are. It depends on your child's weight as well as intake already. Usually we would start the morning with cereal, sometimes mixed with a little fruit. Afternoon was usually some veggies followed by their bottle. Dinner was usually half and half...half a jar of fruit and half a jar of veggies. Then each of my kids usually ate a bottle right before bedtime and slept most of the night. I only had one who didn't sleep through the night before 2 months and that was my son due to acid reflux from the day he was born.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Baby food is a marketing ploy carmadsmom. You pay for a jar, a lid, and 50% water. Rice cereal has little nutritional value and tastes less than delicious. Baby food is a waste of time and resources. Babies do not digest solids well. That's why it generates so much colorful poop. It might look like it gets digested but babies do not have a mature enough gut to do a good job of solid digesting, that's why they have a tongue thrust reflex. Bypassing this natural mechanism with a food pureed into oblivion doesn't make digestible. This is more obvious in a baby fed recognizable table foods because you can see it in the diaper. That's why ALL nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula for at least the first year.

All a baby needs is regular food that is soft or lightly mashed. You also can't get the kind of variety or fiber from jars. cont.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• What fun or interest is there in foods that are blended into a liquid mass with no texture? I'm not even sure how they turn a banana into that jarred sickly sweet shiny stuff.

We've given our 7 month old (now 8 months) cooked and/or raw apple, carrots, asparagus, pears, peaches, grapes (cut into small pieces obviously), blueberries, mango, melon, persimmon, starfruit, kiwi, watermelon, black beans, kidney beans, chick peas, pinto beans, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, banana, small amounts of bread, tastes of cooked regular rice, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, butternut squash, zucchini, sweet potato, potato, peas, string beans, strawberries (no history of allergies to this fruit in our families). When we eat, I pick appropriate tastes from our meal and that is far more variety and nutritional balance than you can ever get from the jar/cereal routine and it costs us nothing extra.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2010