Can I break my lease based on this?

Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, I do not know a lot about these kinds of things. I live in this complex, it's a long street of duplexes. This place is GHETTO. The rules spelled out in the lease are very clear, but the landlord will not enforce them. My husband is the courtesy officer, so our rent is cheap, but he cannot do his job if she doesn't back him up. And when he is at work, it's like a damn zoo here. As soon as he gets back everyone behaves like they are in church. I am tired of the noise, the tresspassers, the absentee landlord, the crime, I'm just sick of it and I hate having my kids here. The rent is $1050, $850 if you can get in when they run the special. The reason why most of these people live here is because this place does not run credit checks. How some of these residents afford the place is beyond me.

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• and yeah, another reason I want to leave is that my husband is divorcing me, and (thanks to no credit checks) has leased a 2nd apartment here that he's moving himself and his parents into. I do NOT want to live that close to my inlaws. Yeah, that has nothing to do with reasons why breaking the lease lol.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Anyone can get out of a lease if they really want to. If you've been there for awhile, most landlords will not enforce the lease. You might not get your security deposit back though.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, but the lease buyout option is equal to two months rent. Heh, that's probably another thing she doesn't enforce.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• If the landlord does not hold up any part of thier end of the lease you can get out of it. I figure if he's that absentee he's not going to contend you leaving because he knows you could get him on a lot more then what you'd be doing to him (leaving). I would talk to a lawyer....I went to one and for a consultation it was about 50 and they can give you advice on what to do, what theier services are if it came to that. The way it sounds though, you wouldn't have a problem just leaving!
    Anonymous

• Just go to the landlord and give your notice and ask her if she'd be willing to let you out of your lease early. Explain that since your husband and you are divorcing you don't feel comfortable with him being the officer over you as a tenant. Do not insult her by telling her the place is ghetto and she doesn't do her job because that will get you nowhere. Just talk to her like a friend and see what happens. Keep in mind you that she could put it on your credit or take you to small claims court if you move out without written permission.
    Anonymous

• Check with your local renters' rights office.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• just follow the recourse outlined in the lease and in the law if you want to get out without owing.

i broke a lease some years ago because i realized after signing that i was in a violent, drug-infested neighborhood. my credit sucks, and i can't rent an apartment here for another couple years because of that... but it was worth it to me.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2010