infection/slight fever, should I make him eat his dinner?

My son who is 3 1/2 has a uti and has been acting ok at times and then sick at times. I can tell he's tired, but he still hasn't eaten dinner. Should I make him eat it before bed? or just leave it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Please tell me you took him to the doctor and he's on antibiotics?????? PLEASE!?
    If he doesn't want to eat don't force him. He feels like poop and probably doesn't feel like it. Make sure he's drinking a TON OF WATER!!!
    Anonymous

• I never make my kids eat if they don't want to. But they don't get anything else if they don't eat. But no, when they are sick I don't even expect that they will eat... I know I don't eat when I'm sick.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• yes, he went to the doctors and is on antibiotics
    Anonymous

• OP- I guess my issue is that he was eating fine all day until dinner.
    Anonymous

• GIve him lots of water. Believe me if he doesnt want to eat, dont challenge him on it, cause you might end up cleaning it up at 2am! Liquids for now and watch that fever tonight!
    Anonymous

• no, sometimes at night is when you start feeling a little bit worse than during the day, at least my kids do. if my kids are sick and don't want to eat i don't force them. BUT if he's hungry later offer him what you had for dinner, my son likes to try to get away with asking for something sweet later that night :P
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You never "make" you kid eat his dinner. You offer it, perhaps give a little encouragement, but then it is up to him. He knows what he needs. He will eat when he needs to.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Just keep him well hydrated. Kids eat when they are hungry. If the antibiotics require food, then make sure he eats a few whole grain crackers with peanut butter.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Really? Maybe you should take him to a doctor and ask, since youre not sure! But my OP NO Never force someone to eat!!!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree that you should not pressure him to eat. I'm glad you have him on antibiotics. My former boss didn't believe in antibiotics and tried treating her DD's ear infection with echinacea. She finally gave in and filled the prescription when the girl had pus coming out of her ear.

Will he drink cranberry juice? You could make a blend of 1/2 cranberry juice and 1/2 water (check with your pharmacist to see if cranberry juice is okay with the antibiotic, but usually it's grapefruit juice that interacts with everything). Poor baby!

When my kids are sick, I might offer them something light like yogurt, applesauce, fruit, or chicken and stars soup. Just keep offering fluids and encourage rest.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2010