How do I prevent my kids from becoming gay?

I have a few lesbian and gay friends and I can tell that they are not very happy, but they try to hide it. They all want to have children but can't, it's legally possible but very complicated. They spend their time working, going out and traveling. They have more money than what they need, because they don't have kids. They are all very nice and sociable but I don't get that energized happy vibe from them, they are rather cold and calculated.
I just don't want my kids to live like them. I am not against gays in general, to each their own, but please God, don't let my children miss out on the joys of being married to a man and have their own children.
PS. I'm not religious. At all. Don't even go to church. I'm also not political.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• So you're being facetious, right? They have money, nice and sociable?. Sounds great!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• you can't!! you are born with your orientation. if they are they are and if they aren't then they aren't. also trying to change someones orientation (which you cannot do) will cause self loathing and emotional damage which can lead to suicide, harmful behavior, and even homicide
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Well... I truly don't think that you can prevent them from being any sexual orientation. Besides, they could encounter those types of obstacles and situations being straight.
    I think the best you can do is support whatever decision they make, and help them get back on their feet whenever they're disappointed by one of life's many bumps in the road.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Are you kidding me? The travel, they have more money than they know what to do with. I wish!!!! How could they NOT be happy. Yes they want kids and maybe they are not ready to stop traveling and having so much extra money. If your child is gay your child is gay...SO WHAT!!! One day ask one of these "friends" if they are happy. i'm sure they will say they are!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Thats funny all the gay couples I know are happy together. A relationship is a relationship, doesnt matter gay, straight or whatever. Some couples get along better then other couples. I bet not all your straight couple friends are in a happy marriage? As for your kids, really this is what your worrying about today? Yes, they might grow up and be gay and happy being gay. They might grow up and join the service and be gone for a two year tour. They might grow up and be circus clowns. Hopefully whatever they decide to do with their lives and how they live it they will be happy. Isnt that what we all want for our kids anyway?
    Anonymous

• delilahsmom1177- MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING! Most people that have more money than they know what to do with, in country clubs, travel anywhere, ect, are lonely, and want something more than just being rich. It's the little things in life that makes you happy, money is just a plus.
    Anonymous

• You can't prevent it... Either they are Gay or they aren't. It's not like preventing drug abuse, it's nature taking it's coarse. And by the time your kids (and my kids) are grown, it will be a whole different world for Gays... The issues that they have today will be of the past - thankfully. Also, just because you believe your friends to be unhappy doesn't mean they are any unhappier than they would be if they were straight. And I can guarantee you they are happier being openly Gay than they would be if they were trying to hide it just to make others happy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You can't prevent them from being who they are. Not every homosexual person is unhappy. Two of my close friends are gay men and they're both in loving happy relationships. One also has two kids - he had an arrangement with a female friend who carried the children (donated eggs fertilized by his sperm) and they're 100% his children. There are plenty of straight couple who are unhappy, who can't seem to find the right partner in life and who don't have children - either because they can't conceive or because they haven't found the person who they want to have a child with. It's also possible that your children may grow up and choose to not have kids. My ex BIL, Dylan, and his wife chose not to have children and are perfectly happy.
    Anonymous

• here's another thing...if straight couples are so happy why do MORE than half of them end in divorce
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• sigh..people these days..
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2010