Egg Donor

Ok so we have recently become homeowners and have a one year old and are becoming tight on money. I have been looking for a new job because I am a manager at McDonalds n dont make much. I happened to come across a website about becoming an egg donor and saw how much money you make. I think I could be really intrested in this, not only for the money but to actually help a couple or a single woman have a child to experience what I am experiencing now as a parent. Im just not sure my fiance would like the idea...what would you do?! How would you feel about giving up some of your eggs!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2010 in Health

• I don't think you can donate eggs if you've ever been pregnant or have a miscarriage... I could be wrong. >_>
    Anonymous

• Let me ask you this, are you prolife and believe life begins at conception? If so, how do you feel about creating embro's in a lab only to have many of them die so that maybe one will live?
    Anonymous

• I thought it's illegal to donate any part of your body for money. At least in my country is.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 11:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• i would love to but unfortunately there is a history of mental illness in my family and they have a strict screening process for potential donors
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 11:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You know, DH and I just talked about this the other day. He said it wouldn't be too bad of an idea, really no different than sperm donors, aside from all the procedures and hassle. Something we've considered next to surrogacy. DH will have the big V first though... before either are considered.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'm a mom and I also work in this field so I wanted to see if I could shed some light...you absolutely can be an egg donor if you've had a kid (or two or three!) - you can even donate if you've had a miscarriage, though more than one might be tough. Proven fertility is a plus, not a negative.

It's a big decision to make, which is why most places look for Donors who are 21-29 (some will accept applicants a little younger or older, but not by much) The young end is to make sure women have a little more life experience and maturity under their belts, and the upper end is to make sure the Donor is still fertile. Statistically fertility starts to decline after that...
    Agencies/clinics also can't work with Donors who have major hereditary issues, such as carriers for a serious disease, and most ask that a Donor be at a healthy height/weight ratio. There is a need for Donors of every ethnicity under the sun! Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

• I can tell you this firsthand, I did Invitro twice. The second time it worked and I have a wonderful little boy. BUT, It is no small task to accomplish egg retrieval. It is NOT AT ALL like sperm donation. I had to take 100's of injections that my DH gave me. They all range in size and get progressively larger prior to the retrieval. You start off with multiple shots in the stomach and progress to the backside/hip area. It is NO picknic. They do not know how you will respond to the drugs and subsequetly Overstimulated my Ovaries the first time. They ended up to be the size of small melons and I was in a lot of pain. I also had a hard time sitting. I also bloated tremendously ar a result of the drugs. The first time did not work. No pregnancy as I has Pre-Genetic Diagnosis done on the one's that survived fertilization and none were viable (without a genetic abnormality). Cont:
    Anonymous

• The second time I did it from begining to end again. They were able to regulate the drugs because they now knew how I would respond. Each time they retrived 23 eggs for a total of 46. Of that 46 I had one good egg and I have my much awated DS. Thank God! But It was not a walk in the park and I really would not do it for $. I did it because I wanted my own child. I do not know what the lasting effect will be as a result of the drugs I was given & I hope there aren't any but in the end I have a Son.
    I don't think it would be worth just the money to donate.
    Anonymous