Punctuality has nothing to do with respect

My in-laws pick up my daughter every Fri. night, not for me, but to spend time with her (aka. dress her up like a princess and show her off at church Sat. morning). Anyway, this past Fri., they didn't take her, because they wanted to bring her to a party on Sat. night (quinceanera) and so they asked that she be dressed and ready by 2:30pm. I had to drive hubby to work, pick up my friend (nearby) and rush back to the house to get her dressed. I got home and had her dressed like a princess by 2:30pm. Finally at 3pm, I call dh asking where the hell his parent's are. THEY ARE AT THE HOUSE STILL, LOOKING FOR A PIECE OF JEWELRY! Did they call me? NO......... MIL acts as if she did no wrong. When they finally did arrive, FIL said Sorry really quickly before she got to the door. I find being late disrespectful...ESPECIALLY if you don't bother to call!!!!! Am I the only one? She never said sorry at all...pure disrespect.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• being late is being disrespectful to WHATEVER the situation is might be going on.
    Jess288

Answer by Jess288 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I disagree- punctuality is respectful, definately.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Oh and the point of my title is that my husband is annoyed by his parents, BUT gets angry when I talk about why they made me mad. Even talks smack about my family, asking what they do for us. My family, most of them, live very far away...it's just ignorant. I don't care what his parents DO do for us...they should have enough respect to call when they are going to be SUPER late. ESPECIALLY when it is for something as trivial as looking for a pair of earrings. Mind you,. this is NOT the first time. One time the called and said that they were on their way, finally an hour later we call...they went out to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF???? Another day, we were waiting for them to bring our daughter home and they called and said "ON OUR WAY" (at 1pm) Finally at 3 we called, they went home and put her down for a nap??????? NO RESPECT! FYI: They take her to spend time, not for a favor to us at all.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I agree, it is very disrespectful. But why did you not call them yourself and ask what the holdup was?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Nope, I'm late to everything. Although I do apologize if I feel it's necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The reason that I don't call myself is that there is a language barrier. Although I speak their language, MIL just nods and says YES even when she doesn't understand what the hell I"m talking about. FIL, most of the time DOES understand, but never pays attention SO ANNOYING!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Lateness is one of my big pet peeves, and yes I find it disrespectful and extremely irritating.

At the lame time though, I've learned that it's often not worth creating drama over.

What do you want more, an apology from the in-laws? Or just accept that they probably won't change no matter how much they love you, and to put it behind you and have some peace in your family?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It's very disrespectful to be late but when it's family it's something you should overlook. That's just how I feel anyway.

Mommy4000

Answer by Mommy4000 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• So, I think I will cut off a week or two of visits with them. Not only because they have no effin respect, but ALSO because my daughter comes back from their house a ROTTEN EVIL BRAT! They don't tell her NO at all. It takes me 3 days to get her back to herself and then a few days later............................BAM EVIL ROTTEN TODDLER. I'm sick of it. FIL actually told me once to not tell her NO, that she doesn't like it.................I almost had a heart attack and QUICKLY put him in his place! They think they're her parents. Is it wrong if I limit sleep overs to twice a month instead of every weekend?

Really, I think they think that they have more rights than they actually have. Oh and they give her cookies NON stop.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• 12:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 by: Mommy4000

It's very disrespectful to be late but when it's family it's something you should overlook. That's just how I feel anyway.

So should I always overlook it? Even though if I'm 5 minutes late, they call complaining? Really, since they are family, they never need to be punctual or have any respect? Just curious!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2010