what is your sunscreen situation?

do YOU wear it? if yes, what brand?
does your kiddo wear it? if yes, what brand?

i promised myself this is the summer I'll be better about sunscreen.... grrrr

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow, all you people not wearing sunblock are setting yourselves & your children up for developing skin cancer later in life. My FIL never wore sunblock either, and he's had several melanomas removed from his face, neck & scalp. Sure, it's good to get at least 15 minutes of straight sun everyday for the vitamin D, but that's all you need. More than that is risky these days.

We almost always wear sunblock, usually an SPF of 30 or greater. I prefer the Neurtrogena Ultra Dry-Touch Sunblock. We do go without the sunblock for at least 15 minutes each day, typically during the early morning or late evening when the sun isn't too hot & strong, so that we can make our vitamin D, but we use the sunblock at all other times. We all have very fair skin & I'm not taking any chances.

For year-round protection, I also use a body lotion w/an SPF 15. Winter sun can damage you, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i dont wear it...my daughter (6) does tho,,she wears spf 45 or 50..i think its coppertone..but it might be hawaiin tropic..either which way she puts it on in the mornings and afternoons...and yet she still gets a better tan than me..lol..soooooo not fair!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• we dont wear it. were in arizona too... sounds bad BUT
    we dont go outside for a long time. because of the heat, and if we do i make sure she is covered up well. she also has a nice complexion where she doesnt burn. anyway i make sure she is covered well sunglasses hat light clothing but covered. and hydrated and not out too long. after living in arizona pretty much my whole life, ive learned how to care for my skin and body (as well as my daughters)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:02 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• We do not wear sunscreen unless we are going hiking or to the beach. If we do wear it, we wear the spray kind 45 SPF.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Do not wear it, my 2 year old doesn't either. I prefer getting sun on my skin as its important. If we are out for a little longer than expected I will put coconut oil on my son but I don't wear anything. IF I started feeling like I should be out of the sun I will get into shade and so will my son. We don't wear sunglasses either.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• If we're going out for 1/2 hour or less, usually not. But if it's going to be longer than that, we both wear sunscreen. I usually wear Target brand, at least 15 (whatever I have in the house). My older kids (8, 10, and 12) wear the same thing I do. My youngest wears Aveeno Baby sunscreen - I think it's like 45. If we're going to the beachor pool, regardless of how long we're going to spend, sunscreen is a requirement in our house!

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I wear anything from 15 to 35 depending how long i'll be out in the sun. All my kids wear 50.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• we wear neutragena or clinique spf 45 or higher for outdoor activities longer than 1/2 hour. the spray works get for the body but the lotion is better for the face because of better coverage and i personally do not like sprays in the face. be carefull of some brands if your kids have skin sensitivity (sp). we learned the hard way about allergic reaction to sunscreens, evan the supposed baby formulas can have problems.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I don't use a specific brand. I use it seldomly (whatever I've lathered up DS with) but not all the time. My son however has his dads complexion so I have to use like spf 70 on his body and I use 45 on his face (specific face sunscreen) anytime we go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes.
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 9:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I only use Hawaiian Tropic Blend 4 tanning lotion... and that is when I sun bath other wise I never where it...
    my 9 yr old and dh wears a 30-50 depending on the day/weather.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2010