Is anybody Rh negative?

Asked by jon-lucas at 5:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am. So was my mom and my oldest daughter. It's not really a major concern, but if you have an Rh negative baby and then get pregnant again somewhere around 28 weeks you should get a shot. I don't know what it's called but that's what I had to do. My mom had a miscarriage and a still born baby and she blames it on being Rh negative, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Answer by April_418 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• almost every one i know is.. and myself.

Answer by Sunnysidemama at 10:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I am - you also have to carry a card around with you in case of the possibility you are in an accident, need a blood transfusion, have an abortion , ect:....

Answer by AuntieVetta at 11:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• The card has the info thr Dr's or Parramedics need to know to give you that shot of medicine. (i'm a little tired hop that sounded right... lol..

Answer by AuntieVetta at 11:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• The shot is called RhoGAMM and you get it in the butt cheek. I had it last night in the ER. I am A- and my fiance is O+. Basically, if you're Rh negative, the body may view the fetus as a foreign body and will try to build antibodies as a line of defense. The shot (I think) prevents that. You generally get one the first part of your pregnancy and then again after you deliver. I'm not sure how accurate that all is...I was a little scared last night and I'm not sure if I heard the nurse all right.

Answer by DiscoBunnie at 3:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2009