What could cause me to gain 6 pounds in 2 months????

I weighed 150 pounds 2 months ago. My calorie intake has not increased since then. When I weighed myself this morning, I was shocked to see that my weight jumped to 156!! What is going? What would cause my gain 6 pounds in 2 months??

Like I said, my caloric intake has not changed. I don't THINK I'm pregnant...

Any ideas?? I'm freaking out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Maybe water retention?

Answer by older at 7:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Are you taking any medications? Did you just start working out (which will make you hold water?) Did you eat a very salty meal yesterday?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Is it close to time for you to start your period? I also gain right around 6 pounds a few days before I start.
    Have you been physically active? With it being summer, most people are getting outside more and being more physical, which means they're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.
    Do you know where you're gaining it at? Like does your clothes feel tighter in your butt, thighs, waist...?

I wouldn't worry too much but if it keeps up over the next several weeks you may wanna see a doc. It could be a thyroid problem.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I went to the doc yesterday. I've gained 12 pounds in 4 months and we decided it must be water retention. (she showed me my puffy feet!) She is starting me on water pills....so I hope that's it, because my intake has actually gone down (working on it because I felt sluggish!)

See your doc, see what they find. Don't worry, it can be resolved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I have been gaining weight for no reason over the past year and thought it might be my old age even though I still have my periods monthly. I went to my doc for my yearly check-up and she had my blood tested, like usual because I have high cholesterol, and it showed that my thyroid is out of wack so I am on synthroid. She'll have it checked again in 3 months to see if the Synthroid is working. This happened out of the blue and there is no history in my family, so I know that it can occur to anyone at anytime. If you still have a weight gain issue after several more months with tiredness, then go to your doc to have your blood checked.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• this happened to me some years ago when i was on depo provera - after many years of not being able to gain 5 lbs if i tried, i started rapidly gaining weight and ended up gaining 50 lbs in 6 months! initially i did not associate the weight gain with the depo because i had been on it for a year...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2010