I want to try my hand at decoupage. Any tips to help me get started?

Tools, best glue, best types of paper to use.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would say: brush, scissors (if you want a clean edge), any paper you like would work fine- I've used calendar pages, magazine pages, newspaper, construction paper, etc, wallpaper glue would last the longest and be most durable; I have used watered down elmer's glue before. Find something you want to decoupage, find some pictures or colors you like, and have at it! Glue goes on, then you can use a brush to smooth the paper on, and if you are a glue maniac you can put more glue on top or give the finished product a polyurethane coat to protect it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Mod Podge, the original decoupage glue. Have fun you can make so many neat projects!
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 10:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I like watered-down Elmer's better than Mod Podge; it works just as well and smells better. And you can get it really cheaply. Another recommendation, get an old vinyl tablecloth to put down when you work. It'll clean up more easily than a bare table. X-acto knives are good for cutting images out of pictures. Get some cheap paintbrushes (not the "comes free with a set of watercolors" type, but a collection of different sizes); the larger ones are good for smoothing out your work, the smaller ones are good for getting a little glue under an edge that needs it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010