Myths of Pregnancy & Labor

Just thought I'd start a post of myths for new moms:

Second babies do not necessarily come earlier than the first!

Anyone else have anything to add?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• These are some WAAAYYY off the wall ones that I truly hope that NO woman believes anymore, but was actually told to my mom by an older relative (yrs ago, obviously).

A pg woman shouldn't go swimming, because the water will get inside her and drown the baby. (When my mom asked why the baby didn't drown when she took a bath, she was told that was different, it was bath water. go figure...)

You shouldn't nurse, because the afterbirth comes out in the milk, too. (when my mom was laughing and telling me about that one, all I could think was WOW...)

The whole "if the wedding ring spins this way, it's a boy, if it spins that way, it's a girl" thing.

Those are just some of the stranger ones I've heard over the yrs :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Nothing extra but my first came earlier than my second...myth debunked!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My grandmother use to say not to reach your arms up over your head b/c it would make the cord tangle around the babies neck.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Actually, on average, births for multiparous (given birth vaginally before) women are 3 days earlier than nulliparous (never given birth vaginally). 41 weeks 1 day on average compared to 40 weeks 5 days. Of course that doesn't mean it'll happen that way for everyone.

And the wedding ring one? So far it's been right for me, lol. All 3 times. Obviously, it has a 50% chance each time, but still, 3 times right is pretty good, lol.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• That a c-section isn't a "real" birth.
    If you get bad morning sickness it's a girl. No morning sickness it's a boy.
    Belly looks like a watermelon girl, if it looks like a basketball boy.
    The first time you breastfeed use the left side because it will encourage wisdom in the baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Folks in an older generation (like my mom) will tell you that you won't be able to get up and walk for hours and hours after an epidural.

That was actually true back in their day, but they're much milder now, and for most women they're worn off by the time the baby is pushed out.
    Anonymous