Why do some women look down on c-section deliveries?

I understand it seems to be common practice in the celebrity world to deliver their children by c-section which leads the general public to believe it has to do with wanting to avoid a long and messy delivery...and in a way shadows all c-sections births with that air of vanity so to speak. I delivered both my children by c-section because I have a narrow pelvic arch and could not deliver them vaginally. For the first time yesterday I actually had a woman give me dirty looks and tell me I didn't really give birth to me kids. Why do people who haven't had a c-section assume its a walk in the park? C-sections aren't easy either. I went through hell with my first and with my second I nearly died - the anesthesia numbed my lower ribs and as an asthmatic my brain started freaking out and my respiration and oxygen levels dropped dangerously low. If I have another I will most likely be put completely out to avoid another panic attack.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For the same reason they judge you & others for other stuff too. Ppl seem to forget that there's more than one way to do things & just cuz you like a certain way doesn't mean its the right way. Ppl are too judgemental to even entertain the idea that there might be a reason behind things, like a c sect, & instead judge the mom. Bet there's things you do it w/ too!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Because they've never been faced with the choice of having a c-section or having their baby or themselves very likely die.

I've had a c-section, and I've had a v-bac. Neither of them would be what I would describe as a cakewalk, and I am just as much a mother to my ds (the c-section baby) as I am to my dd (my v-bac baby).

Just as there are all sorts of pg experiences, there are all sorts of delivery experiences, and no one "trumps" another one.

But, some people need to feel superior, and if the only thing they have going for them to make them feel good about themselves is that they gave birth vaginally, then give them a cookie, a pat on the head, and don't worry about what they think. You're still a mom, and your birth experience is still just as valid as theirs!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Maybe because they've never been faced with having to have one. I was in critical condition & would have died without a c-section with my 4th baby. I don't really agree with opting to have one just for convenience or whatever, but for someone else, that's their choice.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I believe either way its going to be hard and looking down on someone for it is wrong. You carried the child and as a vaginal birth you were assisted and directed so tell that woman yes I did give birth with more direction.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Because people like to judge others. Also we are in an era of the natural childbirth and c-section is not "natural". In all honesty though I believe any birth that results in a healthy mom and healthy baby to be a successful birth.  simple smile

kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The idea of a c-section horrifies me. But that is a personal fear and if I needed one I would have gotten one. I could care less what other people do. If you need a c-section, I am not going to judge. If you walk into the doctors office and demand one, still could care less. Your child and body, not mine. The woman who gave you a dirty look and said that has issues of her own and is just trying to make herself feel better by putting someone else down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Because they listen to all the media hype about there being too many unnecessary c-sections (which there are) and automatically assume that everyone didn't need one unless told otherwise.

This way of thinking can be very dangerous. I had a cousin who kept refusing one while in distressed labor, and when the dr finally convinced her it was necessary, the damage was done. Her son is severely brain damaged for it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I don't think people realize that a long time ago...like pioneer days and even the beginning of the century...women DIED in child birth. They didn't have the option for a C section. I never dialate, have contractions or ANYTHING. I would have been one of those women who died trying to give birth to her child, had there not been a way (c section) to deliver my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• As was said above, some women just like to judge other women, they never really grow out of their catty Jr High behavior. I truly believe it is a way for them to justify their own mistakes in life and make them feel better about themselves, the same reason they did it as little girls. As for giving birth, I had 3 vag births and they hurt like a mother, but afterwards I only walked a little funny for a few days. lol C-sections are a whole different kind of hurt, AND danger in and of itself, it's surgery after all. So neither is more courageous or better than the other:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• people judge women who have csections because they think oh ur lucky it was so easy for u to have ur baby. uh no I had no choice with ds in 07 he was trans verse. the doc said they could break my water and turn him but then we'd lose either the baby or i. i said no ur not lossing either of us. ds was born in 07 dd was born in 08 also by csection because it was safer for both of us. im glad i had the csection with her because the cord was wrapped around 2 times if she was delivered vaginaly she would have died. dont let anyone bother u with their stuipd looks.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2010