For those of you who are offended by public breastfeeding...

Do you feel that it's ok to breastfeed in the waiting room at an OB/Gyn office? I have an appointment for my papsmear on Monday and will be taking my baby since she's BF. When in public, I usually BF in the ladies room, but my OB/Gyn office has a single toilet restroom instead of a stall restroom and I don't want to tie it up from a bunch of pregnant ladies for a 20 to 30 min nursing session. So, I was wondering if you feel it's appropriate for me to BF at my OB/Gyn. I know I have the right to BF any where, but I do not like to offend anyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did you know that when a toilet is flushed that fecal matter gets EVERYWHERE. Which means when you decide to breastfeed in a public bathroom, possible fecal matter is getting on your childs lips. I did not know this when i started breast feeding. Then i found out. Thats like putting your childs lips on a piece of poop... I believe that breastfeeding in the waiting room is great! Also so long as you have the 'blanket' to cover this wonderful things you are doing for your child than its okay to breastfeed almost anywhere. People everywhere, in my own circle, of friends do not agree with me, but when i asked "how come their child did not have to have feces on their lips and mine did because i chose i different method of feeding?" Then i explained. So if someone does say something, ask them this. Its a fact that when a toilet gets flushed feces goes everywhere.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 9:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think as long as you are discreet about it there is no issue. I dont personally get offended by breastfeeding in public but I know that it does make my husband uncomfortable sometimes when the woman is letting it all hang out there. You need to feed your baby, go for it. Just try not to call extra attention to it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Why do you worry so much about other people? They have necks they can use to turn their heads. It's not like you are going to rip open your shirt like Demi Moore in that stripper movie. The bathroom is not a place for anyone to eat.

People will survive. If it bothers you that much get one of those nursing covers, but honestly you don't need it. IF you spend your time worried about offending everyone you'd never leave your house!

Honestly, if I can survive whale-tail and public butt crack people can survive a feeding baby.
    I
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Why cant you BF in the car prior to going in & again in the car when you leave if necessary? You could also give the receptionist your cell # & tell her you are BF in the car & to call you when they are ready for you to come in.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The only time I am offended by someone breastfeeding is when they pull their breast out, don't try to cover it or anything and then get nasty when people look. I really just don't want to eat dinner with someone's breast flapping about in the table next to me. If someone covers themselves while feeding, I could care less where they do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I don't eat in the bathroom so I wouldn't expect my child to either. Really, do we make a stink when a calf nurses off of her mom or a puppy off of theirs?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Anon, my baby will not nurse in the car because the sun is too bright and she keeps turning to look out of the windows.

I'm discrete, but she will not nurse with a cover or blanket covering her. She will grab it and pull it off repeatedly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• As long as your covered I don't care, but don't do it in the bathroom, that's gross. Does wnyone know what product Michelle Duggar uses? She has like a board/sling that the baby lays on, she's totally covered and I think sometime she even has her hands free?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Unless someone is flopping their breasts on your dinner plate, one's eyes should be on their own table.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:52 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'm one that BF in public but still kept it discrete. One of my favorites tops at that time was tube top with a button up shirt. All you have to do is cover long enough for your baby to latch then arrange the shirt around so you are covered. We had gotten to the point where I could nurse and no one would know unless they put their face right up next the baby.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2010