I don't understand the Organic stuff?

Food is suppose to be good for you, you should not have to pay more for a better quality of food.

I notice in chicken, the legs are alot bigger, and I refuse to eat them. I am afraid they pumped it up. When I was a kid we never had chicken legs like that before.

It is crazy how they alow it. Girls are developing alot younger these days I wonder why?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I personally have not noticed that chicken legs are larger in organic chickens.

Organic is quite simple actually. It's foods grown without the use of pesticides and other toxic chemicals and antibiotics and growth hormones and who knows what else. I personally only eat organic, and don't mind paying more for it.

I do also notice that kids are developing much more quickly nowadays and I would place partial blame on the growth hormones used in our foods.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Ditto Anon 9:27.
    I don't notice them being any bigger either. However, Organic means exactly what she said. It is NOT pumped full to toxic chemicals. The chemicals in produce, processed foods, artifically packed foods, etc is a strong contender to why we have become soo weakened to a lot of disease and illness. We're packing our body full of things that aren't natural. Cancer is on a rise due to chemicals in foods, pesticides, and other toxic chemicals that we ingest daily. I believe.

The reason that Organic costs more is due to the fact that without growth hormones and pecticides there is more risk in growing it. Chemical pesticides help keep the bugs off, but without Chemical pesiticides they have to use organic pesticides which aren't quite as effective. Which means more crops die to natural causes, which means less money for the farmer. Which means they have to jack up the price to break even. (Contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• (Contin) No growth hormones in animals means that the animals grow naturally, which takes longer. Which means less profit per year, which means they have to jack up the price to break even. The food industry whether farmers, processed food, or otherwise have found a loop in the system. They found a way to keep prices low. That is by chemically inhancing foods, so that there's less risk in growing it and it grows a lot faster. That way they're getting more profit per year for their product, which means they live a happier life. However, more and more farmers are jumping on the organic train, because even though it is riskier, it does bring in a bigger audience now a days.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• PUMPED UP

I meant chicken that does not say no pesticides or anything. Is pumped up, not organic. :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. are much less expensive than meat, and are much healthier. Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jun. 3, 2010