how my toddlar act to the new baby?

my son is 20 months old and in 2 weeks we are gonna have another baby i was wondering if any other mothers went through this and how there toddler acted to the new baby i dont wnt him to feel like we replaced him any ideas to help him adjust

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make him feel like the big brother. I prepared my kids, showing them little diapers, let him see what is going to be and telling him he has to help the mommy and if the baby cries he has to get mommy. Make him feel like a big brother, a big boy. Also, try to get some alone time with him often so he don't feel left out, even if it is lunch alone with him at the park.

Just be sure to instill no picking up the baby when mommy's not around. When you are around be sure to let him help, wipe the babys chin, hold the bottle, sit him down and let him hold the baby on his lap. My daughter tried to help me and picked up the baby. I didn't yell at her just told her she could not ever do it again. She could hurt the baby, they squirm like worms, and you don't want to hurt your sister, you want to protect him.

Good luck. Make him included in everything you do, he will be fine.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son wanted nothing to do with my daughter when she was born. He was 13 months then. However, he has slowly gotten more and more comfortable with her. He's 20 months now. He'll come up and pat her and he'll give her a "Hug". Which is more him just leaning against her. He'll also allow her to touch him, but he doesn't prefer it. He's fine with her being in the same room, but he still prefers not to have much to do with her.

Just make sure to spend quality time with your oldest. Take him on walks with only him, color and play when baby is sleeping. one on one time is important with your toddler. But also include him in things you do with baby. When you change his diaper ask him to help you get the diapers and wipes. When you're burping her see if he can help you pat her back. The more positive behaviour you put towards the baby, the more your toddler will see that baby is a good thing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My 2nd was 18 months old when his baby sister was born. He paid absolutely no attention to her whatsoever (to the point that he would crawl up in my lap and try to sit on top of her! :) ). We had to teach him that he couldn't sit/stand/lay on her, but there weren't any problems with jealousy, etc.

Answer by missanc at 10:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My daughter was exactly 20 months when my son was born. She was excited...but also quite jealous. She's still jealous and her brother turns one in ten days lol. Sometimes it can get rough...just make sure you ALWAYS find time to spend with your toddler alone so he doesn't think you don't love him anymore...you need to always be sure to let him know how special he is even though there is a new baby. Have him help you with things....grab you a diaper when the baby needs to be changed...little things like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My daughter is 19 months friday and her baby brother could be here any time now. She pats my belly and says baby...not sure how she will act. My other children have all been great with their new siblings when they were born so I am not too worried. Try to make sure you have some time set aside when the baby is sleeping to spend with him so he knows you aren't trying to ignore him.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• dd was 23 mts when ds was born, she had no problem\, helped alot. when i was trying to breatfeed she would pass me the pillow, get his binky, it was great, now they are 3 and 1 and fight like cats and dogs. they love each other, but man do they fight.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2010