Would you let her do it?

After a school play I was asked to let my daughter co-star in a family tv-show starting September. She's 7 years old and although she says she wants to do it, it's a big commitment and she's really young. What if she get bored and dicedes she doesn't want to do it anymore in the middle of the season? She's never stuck to anything..She quit ballet to start soccer, she quit that to take piano lessons and then she quit that to act. She says she really wants to do it now.. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally, I wouldn't let her do it but it's not really a commitment issue. I just think she'd lose her childhood to that. I don't see why cleaning is considered child labour and acting isn't. I mean, they act to make money and I wouldn't want my child to do that. At least not until she's 14-15 when I can take her decisions more seriously. But that's just me.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 10:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i've read posts from other moms that force their children to follow through with their commitments, and wished i had been a little stricter about that - it does teach your child valuable lessons about making decisions and following through. my only question is what is the right age to force that without taking away their ability to change their mind, which is also important.

i would just sit down and have a talk with her about her changing commitments in the past and discuss that will not be an option. talk to her about how she's going to get through and deal with things if she starts feeling like she wants to quit. maybe help her set some goals like small weekly goals for following through and a reward at the end - a trip to a favorite amusement park or special toy, etc.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think she's too young to do that sort of thing. It wouldn't be a commitment issue for me either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'd let her do it. Think about all the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'd let her. This chance probably won't come again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'd let her. This chance probably won't come again. I concur. I always ask "is it hurting anything" before I make decisions like that. If the answer is no I proceed.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• If my son was asked to do something like that and he really wanted to do it, I would let him for sure! That is a great opportunity! I'm sure that the behind the scenes people that work there are pretty familiar with working with kids and will know what to do if she starts seeming uninterested so I wouldn't worry about that. That is just awesome! Congratulations to your daughter!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Let her do it and save the money she earns for her college education!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Sign up (commit)for just ONE season, with option to renew.
    Anonymous

• Let her do it, but you cannot let her quit half way through. First off the contract won't let her and you'll have to pay to get out of the contract. But remember with the other activities - YOU LET her quit!! In my house, when you sign up for something you COMPLETE it. Softball, baseball - the child plays the ENTIRE SEASON otherwise the team suffers and the child never learns the value of finishing what they've started.
    For example, all 4 of my children have gone through or are going through our local public school band program. In our household it is a 4 year commitment. They most do all 3 years of middle school and 1 year (marching 1 semester and concert (or jazz) the second semester). At the end of the 4th year, they can come to us and renegotiate the contract - either stay in band OR find another course and activity to take it's place.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2010