my 3 yr old itches!

Two nights in a row my son has woke up stating his back is itching.

Monday night it went on from about midnight until about 3am. We tried everything - changing sheets, changing clothes, benedryl itch cream/spray, and finally a bath. I dont know if the bath helped, but he finally feel back asleep at 3am.

Last night he woke at 11;30 and didn't go back to sleep until about 6:30 or 7am!!! Same thing - his back was itching. We did all the same things and nothing helped for long. We even brought him to our bed and it still bothered him.

He has NO bites, no rash, no sunburn. We have NOT changed laudry soap or bath soap.

What makes this even weirder is that he does NOT complain about itching during the day. Yesterday he didn't say a single word about it. It's only at night. I am physically exhaused - i've gotten about 5 hrs of sleep in the last 48 hours.

I'm clueless.....

MommyToEthan

Asked by MommyToEthan at 10:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds to me as though he's found the loop hole to staying up late that most kids can't find. If he's not itching during the day and then suddenly he starts itching at night .. he is either looking for comfort and realized that's how he could get it. Or he's looking to stay up. Either way I think he's playing you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• maybe he just wants to stay up and not go to bed!
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 10:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i thought that too, but he's up screaming and crying and has marks over his back from scratching. i know my son and he's not making this up. he was in our bed last night and he would doze off and then jerk up and start scratching.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 10:36 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Could it be an ant,bug or spider that is sneaking up in his bed with him?
    This time of year, I know that we have a lot of different insects in our house..it drives me NUTS! The other night, I kept itching and scratching, every time I would fall asleep I'd start itching again, drove me INSANE.I got up,shook out the blankets,checked the bed..saw nothing.FINALLY about 3 a.m. I was awaken by an itch on my leg and went to scratch it and found the culprit! I black aant with a stinger was on me!!! I about flipped.I HATE BUGS!!! EWWW! Now, its like I'm so paranoid there is a bug in our bed that I wake up automatically to check..its like stuck in my head that there could be a bug in my bed,lol. Its horrible.I've been traumatized,lol. It doesnt help that we have huge spiders here too..so that thought is always in the back of my mind as well.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I am thinking the same as Kimberly....could be something in the bed.
    In the Health category Bee mentioned allergy to detergent that is developing...if it's that, rinse all the bedding after washing at least twice and don't use softener or any type of additives.

I was also wondering if he could be dreaming? My brother had night terrors at about that age and he always ran around thinking something was chasing him. Maybe your son is dreaming itching? Maybe not, if you think he's really awake during that time.

Hugs to you, I hope you get some sleep soon.
    Maybe you can just call the doctor and ask if it's safe to give him oral benedryl (or store brand) before bed and see how that goes? If it stops, you can take him for allergy testing, even if you don't see anything on him?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Had your water changed?? If it has in any way (the way it is processed, filtered etc. BEFORE it gets to your house) then the detergents might not be rinsing all the way out. Try a FREE and CLEAR detergent and see if that helps.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• UPDATE!!!!

we just got back from the doctor and he's got scarlet fever!!
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 3:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• oh no
    !
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 9:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010