How can I get her to sleep through the night?

My daughter is 2 years old and cannot sleep through the night. I know she is able to because she used to sleep through the night regularly. It has been only within the last 4 months that this has been a serious problem. When I try and leave her to cry herself back asleep she will cry for more then 20 minutes and she starts to get hysterical. I'm not sure how to fix this.

RegansMommy2008

Asked by RegansMommy2008 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter was that age we explained everything. We had a bedtime routine and she knew that after bath and "rock rock" wich was our cuddle time, that it was time to lay down. We would give her her special blanket and her favorite toy or something and all the while keep reminding her that it was "big girl night night time".
    This was an EVERY NIGHT thing so she knew what to expect and when to expect it......
    Hope you all the best!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My 2-1/2 yr old son is going through the same thing for the past 6 months - and actually doing the same thing when I try to let him CIO - per my request of my husband and our Ped. stating he needs to let himself fall back to sleep - however, that's almost impossible when he gets SO upset that he will throw himself against the wall, hit the bedrail that keeps him safe in his big boy bed.. I don't know what to do either. I feel I have trully 100% tried every method out there.. we have a routine we've been doing for a FULL year if not longer, tried Fan for white noise, blue and Green and white nightlights, special bed time animals, new bedspread, my clothes to help him, dream catcher even.. bedtime/nap time blanket, water with him so if he wakes from being thirtsy he has that -I am at a loss - I don't know what to do either. I bought even calms forte - the maker of the teething tablets and that did the opposite..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Oh I am also in the start of actually bribing him - I don't know what else to do - I only started last night we had this huge exciting toned talk about being a big boy and mommy will give him a special treat His choice if he sleeps ALL night without crying for mommy or throwing a fit when he wakes up - and letting mommy sleep in her own bed ( as after the first 3 months that's where I end up - he goes to bed fine, just after he wakes up he won't go to bed without me there or a 4 hour battle - I know, I caved!! ) and he was pretty excited about it- but for night # 1 - it didn't work, he said he wanted to try to listen to night and sleep all night but.. yeah... I am trying my best to get through this - sometimes it gets up to 4 times a night and when we DO sleep together, we both sleep like crap -so its affecting us all - for a good 2 months He wouild wake, I would tell him its ok go back to bed and that was it.. not anymore
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• when a mom who knows how to handle this, MESSAGE ME PLEASE! lol, my dd has been doing this for the past year...she gets very hysterical at night if we don't comfort her, and if we let her cry it out, shes up a few minutes, and every hour or so after that...
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• cont'd.. now I go in there, try to talk to him , calm him and the minute I head towards the door he starts freaking out - which ok, I know I started ME sleeping with him as a bad habit but I did try 3 full months of NOT sleeping with him and we both ended up crying and his fits got so terrible that he almost broke his nose on his bedrail which was devistating for me - I feel terrible I can't comfort my child - but I wish I knew what was waking him or making him NEED me in the middle of the night.. I can't get him to tell me anything, he just says mommy over and over - or Mommy I am sick - which I've brought him in for mulitple times for and they continue to tell me he's fine
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2010