Do you follow the same rules as your children?

Lets say you have a rule like no eating or drinking at the computer, or no eating or drinking in the living room do you make yourself follow the same rules?

lablaw1126

Asked by lablaw1126 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• As lame as it sound yes, because it's a "house" rule not a special kids only rule.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• No,I'm an adult and I own the things I don't want my son to ruin! My rules are in place because of the likelihood of spilling/ruining things cause kids are clumsy.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Yep. We have one hard and set rule in our house... If it will hurt another living being, it's not allowed. But if it doesn't hurt anyone - go for it! - And yes, I hold myself to that same rule.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Actually yes. I want to set a good example. I know, Im totally boring...lol We always eat in the kitche because that is where the mess stays and its easier for clean-up. I dont have time nor do I want to follow my kids around picking up food everywhere. There is a room designated for eating and its calle the kitchen...lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• When she's awake I do.
    Anonymous

• I try to teach by example. If he "caught me" doing something "wrong" when he was a kid, I'd say something like, you are right and I'm wrong. I'll stop. Thanks for telling me. We can talk about anything.
    Anonymous

• Nope, not really. I'm all for the "because i'm an adult, that's why" Like drinking, i'm over 21, so if I want a beer, I have a beer. But my kids aren't 21 yet. Children do not do as adults do.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• On certain things yes like language, how we treat each other, etc. But things like eating on my bed, or playing outside for a certain amount of time everyday, or having a Dr. Pepper at lunch, no. I'm the mom AND I'm an adult, so I get more privilidges than they do.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It depends on the rule. Some rules my husband and I follow and some we don't. I don't have to be home at a certain time, I can be trusted with a beverage in my living room, I can say damn it if I stub my toe... etc.

Too many parents give too much power to their children. As I remind my children- "We are the parents. Don't ever be confused - you and I are not equals. I don't have to follow the same rules you do." When they are the parents then they can set the rules and decide who follows them.
    Anonymous

• Nope... my house my rules. I am the mom, he is the child.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2010