is there a program to help low income familys help pay for debt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There are non-profit agencies that will help you manage your debt. This is one of them: http://www.credit.org/

They will help you negotiate with your lenders and try to coome up with a payment plan acceptable to all parties. If that cannot be worked out, they will help you with bankruptcy.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I recommend checking out Dave Ramsey. There is a DR fan group on CM that can help.
    Anonymous

• Not really but you can go to a consumer credit counseling in your area or online and they can help you out. Never give money to these groups. Anyone that is non profit does not charge.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The child tax credit and earned income credit have been a tremendous help to my family. We were able to pay off most of our debt, then put a down payment on a vehicle to replace my car that blew a head gasket last fall.

I've heard something about an incentive program to help qualifying people get credit card debt written off, but I never looked into it. The income tax refund allowed us to pay off our debt, so I wanted to do it that way.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010