Do you think this is normal behavior for a puppy?

I have a small litter of puppies that are 7 weeks old ( today) . The older 2 pups are completely eating and drinking by themselves and are ok without the mother pup....BUT the ( youngest) pup eats and drinks a small amount and then still "eats' from the mother, when ever they are seperated, the puppy cries and cries and lays in the same spot until the mother comes back to him.

Ive never seen a puppy act this way, have you ?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 12:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Pets

• I didnt mean *mother pup*

and also I know young pups act that way, but I meant once they reach that age - I havent seen them still act that way.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It's fine. Let the mom wean the pups, she knows best
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It's been awhile since I was around pups..... The only thing I can say is, animal mommies have a sense of what their babies need and if there is something wrong with them. Usually if there's really something wrong, a mother animal will reject or even kill her own baby. I would guess your dog either knows the pup is ok or that she can take care of whatever's wrong. Good luck, and enjoy your pups!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Well the mom pup is starting to act 'annoyed" with the pup... almost like she is trying to stay away from him, is why I am worried about it, I mean I know about how she would act if something was wrong with him and that isnt it... its just I feel that she wants away from him, but he doesnt understand.....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Try feeding the pup a little warm baby cereal. If the mom is getting annoyed let her stay away from him. It's going to be a little hard for hi, but he will catch on =)
    Good Luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2010