How much water should my 4 year old be drinking each day?

Asked by Osstie at 12:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Depends on what else he/she is eating and drinking. I'd say about 16 oz

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My 3 year old drinks close to half a gallon daily.....water mostly, some juice and then eats whatever she eats throughout the day. As long as she's going to the potty regularly....3-6 times a day, then I think she's getting enough liquids. Just be sure to have it ready if she wants it and offer it a couple times during the day if you notice she's not drinking anything.

• Take their weight and divide in 2. That is how many ounces they should have each day but remember that some of this may come from the foods that they eat as well.

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Mine only drink water, and I honestly do not monitor anything but trips to the bathroom to make sure that A) they don't make a mess B) they don't have strong urine. As long as he's peeing clear/light yellow, then he's getting enough fluids.

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• This is what my son's pediatrician told me.... 8 oz milk, 4-6 oz milk and the rest should be water. They didn't put a limit on it but I would say about 16 oz or so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Like you, your child should be having 8 glasses day (just smaller ones). Past the age of two, water is the only beverage that humans need. You can liven it up with ice cubes with blueberry "eyeballs", or slices of citrus fruit.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2010