What can I do?

My sister is in the hospital and it seems like she's going to be there for a while and her daughter is staying with us. She is 6 years old and my daughter is 5. My niece always tries to get all the attention and always tells my daughter off. She's been with us for 5 days and my daughter doesn't even want to talk in front of my niece anymore because she know she'll be made fun of. I know my niece is going through a difficult time without her mother, but what can I do to make that stop? I've tried talking to both my niece and my daughter seperately and my daughter actually tries to make my niece feel like home but my niece is acting like a brat. And I know for a fact she's not one!!

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 12:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IGNORE her behavior. REALLY,ignore her for a while. Silence is golden. Tell her she needs to "be nice" to others and they will be nice to her. It sounds harsh, but it does work. Tell her if she wants to talk to you all, she needs to treat others with respect and they will do the same in return.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Start implementing discipline, especially if your sister will be in the hospital for a while. If you've talked to her kindly about her actions and choices and she still doesn't respond, you need to discipline her. It sets the tone for your house while she's there and is a good example for your daughter. If she cannot behave nicely, then there are consequences, like any other house but be sure you tell her you understand this may be a hard adjustment. Ask if there is anything (practical) that she needs to make it better or ask her every day how she feels.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the second anon. If she's going to be staying with you for awhile, she needs to follow the house rules. Treat her how you would treat your daughter if she were the one acting that way. I'm sure your sister left her with you because she trusts you and knows you'll do the right thing. So do it! Don't let her behave that way.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Thank you ladies, I agree with all of you, I just didn't know if I should treat her like I would treat my own daughter if she acted out because she's going through something right now. But you're all right, I need to discipline her.
    Thank you!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 2:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2010