Need help going a different way potty training my 3 yr old boy?

He is almost 3 1/2 and we want him definatly potty trained by 4 or atleast thats our goal :) We got him pull ups for the first time last week and 5 times out of 10 hes going to the potty and thats #1 and #2 so Im very proud of him, however hes still doing both of those in the pull ups the other half of the time. So how do I get him to go to the potty 100% cause we all know how expensive thees pull ups are lol. And do you think I should keep pushing this or wait a little while and try to potty train again? My girl freind offered a great idea that I might try here soon, she said to get a poster board with stickers and give him one every time he goes potty but I dont know how to lay out the board and like after how many times of him going potty does he get a treat? Any ideas?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mother in law, for my newphew, did a prize box. Everytime he "tried" to go potty he got a little baggy of like 3 smarties or some other candy. Everytime he went potty sucessfully he got a "prize". This could be a toy car (99 cent store!!!). A pair of spiderman underwear (whatever your child would be into)....a new coloring book etc.
    After a while they took the try prizes away and they would only do a prize for going, then it went down to a prize a day for having no accidents etc.
    Anonymous

• i think kids think pull ups are diapers put him in reg underware my son is 3 will be 4 in aug and he been pt for like 3 mnths now. and after i tryed everything i decided too just do undies and it workd
    Anonymous

• How do you get him to go potty 100% of the time? GET RID OF THE PULL UPS!!! They are glorified diapers, you aren't teaching him anything by using them, think about it, you want him to go on a potty but you let him wear something it's ok to go potty in. He may have some accidents in his pants at first but oh well, it goes with territory. We trained our son at 18 months and he never wore pull ups
    Anonymous

• I have to agree, get rid of the pull ups. My son is 3 and is potty trained 100% during the day. #1 and #2. I only put a diaper on him at sleep times. I think it is becoming a battle of wills as of right now for you.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• NO MORE PULL UPS!!! Let him run around outside naked so he can realize what he is doing when he goes potty. I let my son do this and i didn't push the potty on him. He has never had accidents and also goes #2 as well. He was potty trained by 3 1/2.
    Just an idea. some people aren't comfortable with allowing the kids to run around naked. I obviously don't mind , LOL!
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• OP....... Wow ok I thought pull ups were for potty training but I see what others are saying. Hes more likely to have an accident in a pullup then in underware bc that would be gross and uncomfortable if he went in his underware. I will definatly try this considering we already have the underware and plus I wont have to buy those expensive pull ups any more. Thanks for all the advice!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Pull ups are fine ... We also had to use them for my DS to be in preschool. It is far better then all your furniture and rugs being covered in pee and poop spillover!! I tried the underwear only method for 2 two weeks in April, but my DS just didn't care...he wasn't ready. Cost us a butt load to have everything cleaned after that. The Pullups were cheaper and it was NASTY!! My little guy is now 3 and 9 months and had been VERY potty resistant for a long time - we had tried everything - stickers, etc. He just didn't care!! Last Friday I told him I'd give him a quarter for each time he went in the potty and his pull-up was dry!! It worked like a charm!!! It took one day for him to catch on... he hasn't had an accident since Friday afternoon!!!! Even wore undies to school the last two days!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2010