Overweight toddler

Do you feel when a child's weight starts to impede their being able to walk that its now a serious issue? My nephew is 3 and weighs 65 lbs. We saw him on Memorial day and the child was having a hard time walking and climbing stairs. He has no neck and his arms and legs are so fat! His mom just laughs it off and calls him her "good eater". Everyone was astounded by his size. He weighs more than my 9 yr old son! i feel so sorry for him that his parents think this is ok. He starts preschool this fall and he'll never be able to keep up with the other kids in his condition.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, thank God for starting preK!
    I'm on the pediatric obesity prevention task force, and this is a huge problem (no pun intended). I know a couple of 50+ pound preschoolers, and exercise really helps. Yes, they do not feel like joining in, but if you put on dance music and the overweight child doesn't "want" to join in, you can still help him/her move his arms around, wiggle to the music.
    check out 5-2-1-0: 5 fruits/veggies a day, no more than 2 hours of screen time (tv/video games/computer) per day, 1 hour of moderate exercise/day and 0- sweetened drinks, including juice.
    In my opinion, many kids become overweight because we didn't know that juice is the culprit. My son drank 8 oz bottles of juice until he was off the bottle at 18 months....and he still loved/ asked for juice for years. Juice is okay, but it is really a bunch of empty calories. Fruits are better with water to drink. GL with you nephew.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Maybe you should tell her about it and say its hard when you are overweight at any age. Ask her where she sees him in five years and how they are going to stop him from being picked on. You can only help him by asking her what she is going to do about it.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Wow, that is really sad. Personally, I would feel so ashamed if that were my child.
    Anonymous

• I saw a baby like this 69lbs at 2 years old but he had a thyroid disease. It could be the baby is overeating AND has a disorder. But this is a SERIOUS issue. This baby could die of heart failure or something. I dont think his parents will be laughing then. Its a disturbing thought, but careless parents lead to careless children. Kids need exercise and a balanced diet, plain and simple. Maybe find something to show her how dangerous it really is. Not to mention he inedivibly WILL get bullied at school.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Ok, if there are no medical issues... there is NO reason/excuse for that. My son is a GREAT eater, but he is 3 and is 30lbs. Aside from medical issues, I always blame the parents. All of the sugar drinks, junk food, letting them graze ALL DAY long is just very bad parenting and is going to cause child hood obesity among other things.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• OP- There are no medical reasons for his obesity. He eats ALOT and moves very little

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• this chick is always on here talking about that baby! get a life you are so mean
    Anonymous

• OP- I'm mean for being concerned about the welfare of my nephew? Ok.....Maybe we should all turn a blind eye to these kids and let the parents' behaviors turn out morbidly obese kids. You know someday we'll all be paying in someway for these kids when they need a multitude of medical help from heart disease and diabetes.I know of alot of people who think fat kids are cute,but this is a serious matter. This is right up there with starving your kids IMO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010