My husband thinks I am a bad mom...

My husband is mad a me b/c I gave my kids a bag of raw mixed veggies for breakfast. He said they should have had cereal or oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. I would understand it if I had given them a bag of cookies or candy but I gave them vegetables!!!!! Really? Oh and he is pissed my 4 year old is throwing up but I didn't take him to the dr... he isn't running a fever, he is playing and trying to eat and drink, I don't think a child has to go to the dr with every sniffle... I am giving him otc meds to settle his stomach.... Am I a horrible mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are not a bad mom at all. Your DH would have a field day of blame in my house. My kids have been known to eat salad, leftover ravioli or spaghetti, and morning star nuggets for breakfast if they aren't in the mood for cereal, eggs or oatmeal. I eat a bowl of quinoa for breakfast nearly every morning. It's veggies for heaven's sake, not chocolate cake and wine.

And there is a point where you realize that your kids don't need to go to the doctor for every little thing. We go months without a pediatrician visit. (then of course, everyone is sick for 3 weeks on a rotating business with having to go in.) If he insists, he should take him instead of you.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Of course not, tell him if he doesn't approve of your mothering he should take over then, see if he can do a better job!

Answer by older at 1:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• wow - I would think you might have a horrible husband.. I guess as a couple before we had kids, we made a decision to work as a TEAM together as parents.. sounds like you guys need to get there - its not going to get you guys anywhere or him I should say being a Mom basher - if your kids are happy healthy played with and loved, you are NOT a bad mom -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• perhaps you can sweetly suggest that he take ds to the doc. And see what the doc tells him.

How about Bill Cosby's bit about chocolate cake for breakfast? It has flour, eggs, milk, what's the matter with that (argument with his wife, lol) If the kids ate veggies for breakfast, more power to you!

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'm right there with older. It sounds more like he is needing to feel 'in control' rather than you having parenting issues.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You are not a bad mom, but he is, in fact, a bad husband.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Seriously - It isn't a breakfast I would feed, but if it is all I had I wouldn't hesitate! And I don't take my son to the dr every time he's throwing up or has the sniffles either. Hubby did start to get aggravated at me last time he had a snotty nose because I wasn't giving him otc meds except for at night... just gave him a ton of water. He didn't have a fever and was eating and drinking fine. I just cut out milk and made sure he was drinking a lot of water. That stuff just has to run it's course! Good for you mama!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You are not a bad mom at all. Men don't know anything about being a mom. I would tell him if he can do it better then he can take over the care of the kids
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I needed to hear that, I've been sitting here crying for the last 2 hrs. (could be pregnancy hormones, then again if he doesnt think I am a good mom to the 3 that are here I guess I wont be to our son thats on his way) Don't get me wrong I love my husband with all my heart, but he acted in a way today that he has never acted before. I tried to talk to him about it but he feels that he is totally right and I'm not so there is no reason to talk about it.
    Anonymous

• You are NOT a bad mom!! While raw veggies is not typical 'breakfast food' I think you should be pleased that your kids ate something that is healthy and nutritious. If your husband does not like it then maybe HE should fix them oatmeal or eggs.
    I don't take my kids to the doctor for every little sniffle either- it depends on how 'sick' they are and what they have going on. Most of it we treat at home with fluids, otc meds and rest.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010