Is is contradictory to blast big government, want less taxes & regulation but expect them to clean up the mess?

Ben Brooks, a lawyer and republican state senator from coastal Alabama, says he's no fan of big government but he expects an aggressive federal response as a gunky oil spill threatens the Gulf of Mexico.

"There's nothing inherently contradictory in saying we believe in smaller government and demanding that the government protect public safety," Brooks said.

All along the Gulf Coast, where the tea party thrives and "socialism" is a common description for any government program, conservatives who usually denounce federal activism suddenly are clamoring for it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_oil_spill_conservatives

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes it is contradictory. One of the main issues with smaller government backers is deregulation. Allowing industry to regulate themselves because the belief is that they know better and will do a better drop regulating themselves. Well, deregulation has been steadily happening in industry for the past 30 years. And let's take a look at what it has brought us: deregulation in the finance industry lead to the worst economic crises we've had in generations, and nothing was fixed more money was just tossed at the assholes who made billions off screwing others,, deregulation in the utility area led to Enron. and now welcome to what deregulation in the oil industry can bring us, not just record prices for the people and record profits for them
    .
    Either people want the government involved in industry or not. It can't be stay out of industry until we fuck up. Then come in, fix our mess, then step back away until we fuck up again.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Or is it just the reality of the situation?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The government protecting people from an environmental disaster is totally different than making laws to control the lives of individuals. You can't compare the two.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

I understand that but this isn't an environmental disaster, its a man made one. a large corp with little regulation caused it. The nu conservatives are all about telling government to but out ...but what if stricter regulations AVOID such large disasters?? Same with Wall Street

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• If I dump oil in my backyard and someone sees it, guess who has to pay to clean it up...nope, not the government. They made the mess, they should have to clean it up without anyone else's money.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• They could try to make BP pay for it and fine them until they are blue in the face. They would just file bankruptcy anyway and still leave us with a mess. In the mean time it is ruining the lives of Americans that depend on those waters for their livelihood.

Anonymous

• I don't see any reason to expect the Gov. to fix it in the first place. They don't know anything about how to fix at as they have proven. BP has said they will take care of the spill and all costs. I think the Gov. can watch over and keep and eye to make sure they are still doing what they need to do but to take over or not allow BP to do what they think they need to do is only wasting time and allowing more damage which is all on the Obama administration. I really don't know why Obama insists on saying they were there from day one and BP is not doing anything without their permission. I can only assume he thinks this is helping his cause and his numbers.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I don't want government to fix the problem. I don't think they are capable (regardless of party in charge). I would rather see them make decisions that allow state governments to do what they need to do to protect their citizens. In this particular case, I would rather they gave the go ahead to Jindal to build the sand berms instead of requiring environmental impact studies while spraying chemicals in the ocean to break up the oil. I would rather they used biodegradable ways to clean up the oil (like someone posted the method using hay and hair) rather than spraying chemicals. JMO. I never expected government to fix it, and I think it's a problem when anyone expects government to fix things. This is not in their area of expertise.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think yo are on to something there,Sweet a Kins!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The Government cannot handle the little they are supposed to be running.. No way in HELL I want them trying to manage or take over an oil spill of this magnitude....absolutely NOT
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2010