Does anyone know if swimming will irritate hands foot and mouth disease?

kpratt15

Asked by kpratt15 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Health

• The Chlorine might irritate the blisters
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Don't take a contagious kid to the pool!
    Anonymous

• Don't take a contagious kid to the pool! Or a lake Or anywhere!!! Good Lord
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think the health risk is for others that can catch it from you kid. You are going through the pain of having it right now, do you really want to cause another family to be infected?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think once the rash shows, it is no longer contagious. I think the chlorine is probably good for it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You are still contagious, even after the rash presents. Please do not share this with others- it is horrible! It is highly contagious, and will spread like wildfire in water.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It is still contagious as long as there are open sores anywhere and until the child has been fever-free for 24 hours (in a child, 99.5 is considered a fever).

My kids had fevers as high as 105 when they had hand, foot, and mouth disease. I couldn't have convinced them to go swimming if I tried.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Ok, maybe I should have clarified this in my question...it is my own private pool not public. I would never take my child out in public around other children, I'm not stupid!! Thank you to those who didn't jump to conclusions and didn't answer so rudely!!!
    kpratt15

Answer by kpratt15 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2010