Tell me your experience with MIRENA (IUD birthcontrol)

I might want to have kids maybe in a few years,I just had my first child and dont want my husband to get snipped until we know for sure we are done having kids.I have heard good and bad things about MIRENA.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well i have mine removed about a year ago. I had no sex drive within about 3 months of getting it put in and I had mood swings and mine grow into my pelvis. Before you get yours please i beg of you to google mirena side effects and read EVERYTHING that comes up cause you want to know what your getting yourself into before you do it. Trust me you want to do your own research don't believe everything your OB has to say I have had my OB for 16 years and she told me it was great and wonderful well she was surprises when i was rush to the operating table. I almost bleed to death.

Anonymous

• It hurt to get inserted and then my body expelled it, so mine sucked
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It is wonderful! This is my second one as the first one I had for a few years so had it changed. I haven't had my period in two years and have had no measurable side effects. I had my tubes tied 4 years ago but I keep the Mirena to control my ridiculously horrible periods.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Well mine is great.......no periods or if i do its spotting for maybe at the most 3 days. Sex is still great ... no complaints here.

Mine last 5 yrs!
    Mandy329

Answer by Mandy329 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Mine was awful. I never stopped bleeding or spotting for which seemed forever. Finally got it removed and periods were not as bad as I thought they would've been. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I spotted and bled for months. ANd I had perma PMS. I do NOT recommend it.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You can still get pregnant on it. You'll most likely have a late term miscarriage or die. It can grow into your uterus resulting in a hysterectomy. It still has hormones. It can fall out. Birth control is not without life ending risks: cancer, blood clots, heart problems, miscarriage, infertility it just depends on what you are willing to risk to prevent pregnancy. Good luck with your choice.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• There have been lots of reports of it adversely effecting milk supply. It is not "supposed to", but lots of women have had a big drop in milk supply, then when they had the mirena taken out their supply went back up.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010