MiX mAtCh

My daughter who is 4 dresses herself daily. her clothes are clean, her hair is brushed yet she almost always wears outfits that don't match. She also loves to wear TuTu's with her leggings and a t shirt. I don't mind at all I think the fact that she can put random things together and sometimes look very chic is great. My mother however ALWAYS comments on what she wears and to the point to say things to my daughters face that she looks horrible. It hurts my daughters feelings to hear that and when I look at her I don't think she looks bad at all. I have taken her places and people stop me and comment on how great she looks, they know she dressed herself but still say nice things. Her teachers love to comment on her outfits as well. The only person that has a problem with it is my mother. So should I blow what my mother says off and keep doing what I am doing, or start dressing her myself?

Savymom25

Asked by Savymom25 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would look at her and say. if can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all. At least she can dress herself. Just wait until you can't dress yourself and see what I put you in.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• my son almost never matches..... his favorite colors are red and green, so he wears them together frequently....

As long as what he wears is weather appropriate, I don't care what other people think
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• ha ha ha that is so funny. OMG!! HA HA. I will tell her to be nice or My daughter and I will go shopping. to funny. Thanks for the laugh.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I did say that to my grandmother who was picking on my nephew at that age because of his mis matched clothes. It does work. And you're welcome.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I like what oldermomof5 said! I really do believe you should let your mother know her comments are hurtful to your daughter and you would appreciate it if she'd keep them to herself.

My husband gets my preschoolers ready in the morning, and they rarely match. I used to change them into better matching outfits, but it hurt HIS feelings!
    Anonymous

• I think it is great that your child dresses herself and comes up with creative wardrobe choices. I think it is too bad your mom can't see this as a good thing, and has to be negative about it. Does she realize that it hurts your daughter to hear negative comments? Maybe next time speak up in front of your daughter and say " I think Maggie looks GREAT! I love how creative she is." I would also talk to your mom privately and tell her to cut the rude comments, they are hurtful and not acceptable. I have boys, and you should see some of the combinations they come up with! They could care less if they match or not, they put on whatever they want to wear. When they were little and my hubs would dress them he was the same way -- he would grab a shirt and pants and put it on the kids-- he did not care if it mixed, matched or clashed.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Go with oldermomof5's suggestion. it's a good one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Thanks. I will keep letting her dress herself and drown out the annoying voice of my mother : ) I think sometimes she just speaks to be heard and nothing else.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2010