Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anybody know?

My best friend has been planning to come visit me. She lives in Illinois, and I live in Massachusetts. She has a son who is almost 2, and she's married. My son's first birthday party is in two weeks, so she wanted to come then, but she's worried that since her and her husband have been having problems, and he may be moving out, that she could get in trouble for taking her son to Massachusetts. I say it shouldn't be a problem being that it's not like she's taking him and moving away planning to never come back...she'd be gone for like a week or two. Does anyone know if she could get in trouble or lose her son if she does this? She lives in Illinois, thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • When in doubt, get everything in a permission slip, with names, phone numbers, and locations of the child signed by both parents...but to answer your question...I do not believe she can get into trouble since there is no parenting plan (like from a divorce/custody order) that would prevent her from taking the child out of state temporarily. I went through this with DH's exwife...we tried to file kidnapping charges since we had no idea where SD was living and had no way to contact anyone in her family but it fell through because at the time they were not divorced and there was no custody order to prevent her from moving with the child.

    Answer by Mom2LexiNJordan at 2:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • They are not yet divorced and there is no child custody agreement in place, therefore it shouldn't matter what she does because she's as much the child's parent as the father is. Since when did parents have to ask permission to take their children on vacation?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • She cannot get in trouble for visiting her sister in another state with her son. She isn't running away with her child, she's just visiting you. She's perfectly fine. There's no custody agreement in place, because there hasn't been a divorce yet. Which means that there are no laws holding her back from traveling with her child.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.