My son's 6 months and still wakes every 2 hours to eat what can I do?

all night and all day...every 2 hours. I'm totally worn out and about to pull my hair out. what have you done to help your baby sleep through the night.
oh and he eats rice twice a day.

strikeofthemind

Asked by strikeofthemind at 2:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No Cry Sleep Solution helped me somewhat. To sum up that book: how baby falls asleep is how he will put himself back to sleep, so if he nurses to sleep, he'll want to nurse back to sleep when he wakes. So you need to do two things. First is help him fall asleep by himself by gradually putting him down more and more awake. This is easier said than done, but you can check the book out from the library. The second is, when he wakes at night, eliminate one feeding at a time. So let's say this week that first waking you will rock him back to sleep no matter what. Once he's not doing that feeding, you eliminate the next one (rocking, patting, whatever).

Sleep deprivation is horrible. I know it well. At six months, hardly any child needs to eat every two hours all night. It is most likely he's just used to nursing. Good luck, mama.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 2:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• you feed him.
    Anonymous

• I dont believe in n ot feeding a baby when there hungry unless they have health issues. My son was the same way always nursed every 2 hrs day and night. Milk is there main source of food right now so just keep in mind.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Rice is empty filler and does nothing for the six month growth spurt! Encourage more feeds during the day if he seems to forget. Spurting babies wake, also if they learned a new milestone. A sleep through is considered 4-5 hours btw! We co-sleep and breastfeed with a crib sidecar so I get sleep even during marathon growth feeds.

Try a later bedtime. Skip baths, they can cause the opposite effect. Stop cereal, increase day breastmilk/formula feeds. If you must give solids go with real food fruits/veggies. Avocado is good. But always bmilk/form first.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Are you co-sleeping yet? That helps... that and time. And stop focusing on it. Don't look at the clock... cover them if you have to.

My 4 y/o who was that way as a baby still wakes usually once a night... but it does get better, I promise! Hang in there.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• at 6 months? You get up and feed the poor baby.
    Anonymous

• Start giving him three meals a day. Whether it be the rice or rice and pureed food. You can start feeding your baby pureed food at four months, unless a pedi says otherwise. Six months they should be up to three meals a day. I did this with my son and it helped him sleep through the night. Make sure before bed he's full, dry, warm, and sleepy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• He can feed himself fork mashed foods. Just take a banana and mash it up a bit and put it in front of him and let him go for it. Keep adding more foods to his diet. You don't have to wait a week like what was ones thought. Be careful of foods that can be a choking hazard and no honey or cow's (or any other mammal) milk until after 12 mo.

If you are breastfeeding use only one breast a feeding so he is getting the high fat hind milk that makes him feel full. The next feeding use the other breast. It's called finish the first breast first.

It's normal for children to wake (and nurse) at night until they are 3 or older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website and has info on starting solids. It may not have the most recent recommendations. The AAP is recommending babies and young children drink 4 oz of juice or less a day in a cup not a bottle or sippy cup.

There was a large study reviewing all the other studies on infant nutrition and starting solids. That study found that there was no evidence to support waiting a week between introducing foods and that almost all foods including peanuts could be introduced after 6 mo. Kids should drink water with meals and like everyone else water should be pretty much all they drink. Overweight and obesity has become a major problem in children and they are getting health problems that used to be found only in adults.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Just feed him. It WILL pass. It's likely that he is actually hungry, though many people will tell you that he's just eating out of habit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010