are we bad parents????

okay i know this sounds bad...my 1yr old son wakes up at 7 am...i give him a sippy of milk and and let him play in his very child proofed room until 830 ish. is that wrong...that extra sleep really helps me to go to work and take care of him...my bf does the same...our son is ok with it he has more toys than richy rich. but is that wrong.....he isnt in adnger and the monitor is on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, it's great that he can entertain himself. Good for you!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Once he is awake, you or the father should be up with him. You say he is in a safe room with his toys. His toys can hurt him you know. Or he falls and hurt himself some how.

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• my son is 4 1/ 2 and I STILL get up with him... doesn't matter if he wakes up at 5:30 or 7
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I have my DD in bed with me. If she wakes before me she is able toturn on the TV and lay in bed until I get up, which is normally no more than 1 hour and she watches cartoons. LIke I said she is in my room in my bed so I know what she is doing at all times! However you have the monitar on so you should be OK!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• If he is totally safe and happy to play, then yes thats fine. If he whines or needs attention and he doesn't get it - thats not fine.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 5 and 3 and they always get up before me...I lay in bed for as long as they will let me....but my 5 year old is a big tattle tale and she would never let the 3 year get into something he shouldn't without running to tell me. Lol. This is new for me though, we just started doing it within the last few months. Not sure if I'd be comfortable doing that with a 1 year old, but only you know if he is safe or not...do I think you are horrible? Not in the least....I get how important sleep is, if you have the monitor on and I'm guessing you are sleeping with one eye open, so to speak, and he's gated in a safe room, maybe he's just fine.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I can almost bet it won't matter what answer's you get - you are STILL going to do what works for you guys - I don't think its OK but then again, my son has a 2 minutes span of alone time playing most days and they are certainly not in the morning !! but 1 year old is a tad little to do this by himself I think - what if a toy breaks or he chokes on one of the piece's? I always think of the "what if's" before anything I do -
    Anonymous

• u r not a bad mother! i have 5 yr twins and a 1 yr old. my hubby has to wake up at 5 and the alarm always wakes the baby up since he still sleeps in our room. it doesnt wake the twins up their room is on the over side of the house. but i do the same i give him some milk and he lays in his bed with his toys and plays. alot of the time he even goes back to sleep. but i go back to sleep when he leaves and the twins are still sleeping (hopefully) hes right there and i can see him. and the same with you, u say hes safe in there and u have the monitor so u can hear if he starts to cry. just when he gets older and his able to get out the room then is the time to get up!!! one morning my twins woke up, they were like 3, i didnt hear them they didnt wake me. they went to the kitchen and got out stuff to make pancakes!! so they "cooked" pancakes on my SOFA! eggs milk flour EVERYWHERE! so i never go back to sleep once they wake up!!!
    twins121505

Answer by twins121505 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Personally I cannot sleep if my kids are awake, so I wouldn't be comfortable with it. However, during the day I do put the kids in the playroom and go about my business. If you aren't soo much of a deep sleeper that you wouldn't hear him when he cried, then it's okay. Just as long as he's safe and the room is child proof.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Some kids can entertain themselves just fine, others can't. My son always could. If your kid can, then I don't think an hour or so in the morning is going to do any harm, as long as he is getting adequate attention the rest of the time.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010