Is health insurance a big waste of money in your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no..
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Oh for goodness sake NO!!!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• No WAY. There are four of us in our family. Think about the broken arm, gall bladder surgery, pregnancies, countless colds and prescriptions and whatever nightmare that may come down the pike. We'd be bankrupt if we hadn't had insurance for just the items listed.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Only if you're okay with waiting until a severe emergency and then leaching off everyone else who pays by going to the emergency room. If that's your idea of a great time, waiting ten hours amidst heaven knows what dripping off the emergency room chairs while the doctors and nurses glare at you because you're uninsured, then by all means, go for it.

I did cut off my health insurance once, and switched to another, when they refused to pay for vaccines. However, that is just to say that the insurance company was committing fraud, not that insurance per se is a waste of money.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I have it but I am seriously considering dropping it. We pay $4,000 a year out of pocket for the insurance, and we have a $4,000 family deductible-- (which means they deny ALL claims until the deductibles are met) so we are paying $8,000 a year for what??? So far they have not paid out anything for my husband and son's medical bills and my son's therapy. I will be lucky if they start paying in Sept. for my son's on-going therapy and medical visits! I can't wait until they start paying something!
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not. I got on mine a few years ago. About 18 months later I was diagnosed with a major heart problem. Since then I've wracked up close to half a million dollars in doctors bills, hospital stays, surgeries, etc. Counting my premiums, co-pays, and leftover insurance won't cover, I've only put out, at most, $10,000. I'll take the 10k over 500k anytime. Health insurance is NOT a waste for me - or my kids!
    Anonymous

• In a sense, yes. Because in the liklihood of us actually needing it is slim. Unless you're the type of person who goes to the doctor for the simple case of the sniffles. The general population however rarely use their health insurance. Which means you're paying hundreds of dollars a month to something you'll never benefit from. However, in another sense it is very important. Due to the simple fact that you or your family may become ill and need medical assitence. You may get into an accident or there may be something wrong that needs lots of tests to diagnose. Though those types of cases may be rare, it is important that you have insurance in order to be covered. So it is up to you to decide whether you keep it in the slim chance something does happen, or you drop it hoping that nothing does. But if something does happen it will most likely not be covered by a new insurance. Most insurance companies don't pay for pre-existing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• no, but it sure as hell feels like it!! we pay $3000 a year so that my DD and i can go to the doctor once a year for check-ups. thats all we use it for b/c we rarely get sick and when we do its nothing serious. but doctors wont see you for those check-ups if you dont have insurance, so we have to have something and we already have the cheapest we could find.

i wish somebody would come up w/ a system where you are insured so that the doctors will actually see you, but only pay the doctor bills, not a monthly premium. when i figure it all out we'd save about $2000 a year. sure theres the chance of an emergency, but in that case we'd have to pay out the butt anyways, so im sure it would be worth it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• not for us- without it his medicine alone would cost over 7oo a month
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• No. Insurance is something you buy in case you need it, but you pray that you never need it. I really don't want to get my money's worth out of my health insurance.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 4:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010