Should I be fine with the final answer that everything is okay or should I keep pushing on for more? My husband says to let it rest. But I feel like there is some underlining problem as to why she consumes so much fluid. No NL 2 1/2 year old drink 50+ oz of fluid a day. Any help/suggestions are greatly welcome and appreciated.

I finally found a doctor that ran some tests on her. The first urine came back and it was really week suggesting something called insipidius diabetes. Then they wanted her first urine samples to test to role the disease out. Turns out these are okay

Asked by jenog4 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Depends on what she is drinking? If she's having lots of juices, sugary drinks, or caffiene, then that could be the problem. They are diruetics...they drain the fluid out of your body. Give her lots of water between snacks and meals. Don't give her anything else. Her juice and milk should come at mealtimes and snacktimes. See if that helps.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My doctor called my son a "milk baby" because he'd dring so much 2% milk and eat less solid foods. I'd keep checking with your doctors, but maybe she too is a milk baby. What happens if you limit the liquids? Does she eat more? Cry? Follow your mom instincts. You can't go wrong.

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son drinks 80+ oz of fluid in a day. It's mostly flavored water and some juice. He refuses to drink milk. His dr said that it is normal. But, if you are still worried I wouldn't give up. Keep fighting for an answer. Good luck!!

Answer by redtang912 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I was going to say something like Lupus?

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• relax change her water to distilled my daughter was doing the same thing they found out after months that she didn't have diabites she was dyhrdated from the flouride and chlorine in bottled water and tap soo we switched to distilled water and it works like a charm

Answer by Patience1 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Have you ever thought that your child is addicted to drinking that much? Just like a child that gets used to drinking a sippy of milk EVERY night before bed, I am sure that your child is just so used to drinking at certain times and drinking certain amounts. Let me just say this: I see so many moms posting questions about how to get their kids from taking sippies at night or not eating anything but sweets... It makes me a little angry. I just never gave my son these things. He never took a bottle or sippy to bed, so he is not addicted to it. We think that we help our kids by giving in to everything that they want, we are not. I am not militant with my child, but he is not addicted to the bottle, pacifier, sugars or anything else (besides his teddy ;). He also goes to bed at night and at nap times easily because we are a no nonsense family. He knows what to do and so we don't have to fight over it. Give your children more credit!!! They don't need to be catered to at every corner.

Answer by JonsMom924 at 1:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Believe me, my son is so well behaved (and happy) and we never had to go through any of the "normal" addictions of babyhood.
    Also, we all know that the more we eat and drink the bigger our stomachs get.. Your child's stomach is probably so stretched out that he or she needs to drink so much just to feel food. Is your child walking around with a sippy? Start only giving her water after meals.. see how he or she does.. If you don't mind, try some of these things and post how they worked out for you.

• my son too drinks alot of fluid-especially milk. He too was dubbed a potential "milk baby". Is there diabetes in your family?-tough call as diabetic symptoms are drinking and urinating alot. Liquid in, liquid out. How do you know until you get the test. It is a simple one tho.
    I did notice his milk intake dropped when his favorite sippies were done away with too

Answer by tjscam7 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009